1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling like quitting PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by CelticRabelais, Mar 12, 2012.

1. I'm halfway through my Block B placement but already I feel like I am really, really struggling and wondering if it was the right decision to do the PGCE in MFL. I am finding the lesson planning and the delivery of lessons pretty challenging and my subject mentor and my co-mentor have discussed my sluggish progress with me after a couple of really bad lessons a fortnight ago and have had my professional mentor observe me. I am not teaching the full quota of lessons I am supposed to be teaching, but this is due to the fact that I have a learning difficulty, which was only recently diagnosed. I believe I am getting mixed messages about how far my Block B school is prepared to make adjustments for my learning difficulty. I was visited by someone from the university over a fortnight ago and she observed me teaching. Afterwards, she was fairly complimentary, but my SM and my co-mentor have been more critical and demanding, and I wonder how far I can push myself to complete the placement successfully.
    Any advice is gladly welcomed,
    Celtic Rabelais

2. I'm halfway through my Block B placement but already I feel like I am really, really struggling and wondering if it was the right decision to do the PGCE in MFL. I am finding the lesson planning and the delivery of lessons pretty challenging and my subject mentor and my co-mentor have discussed my sluggish progress with me after a couple of really bad lessons a fortnight ago and have had my professional mentor observe me. I am not teaching the full quota of lessons I am supposed to be teaching, but this is due to the fact that I have a learning difficulty, which was only recently diagnosed. I believe I am getting mixed messages about how far my Block B school is prepared to make adjustments for my learning difficulty. I was visited by someone from the university over a fortnight ago and she observed me teaching. Afterwards, she was fairly complimentary, but my SM and my co-mentor have been more critical and demanding, and I wonder how far I can push myself to complete the placement successfully.
    Any advice is gladly welcomed,
    Celtic Rabelais

3. Notwithstanding

Notwithstanding New commenter

Be kind to yourself, most importantly. Unless you can feel the onset of any symptoms of a mental health condition, like lack of sleep, disturbing thoughts, etc, I believe you could finish this course, even with the recently diagnosed learning difficulty.
    I advise though, that you do speak to your uni course leader. At this point in the year with people on placement, they will be likely dealing with a lot of your coursemates in similar mindsets and know how to advise properly on that. Be honest and open, and don't let it affect your mental health, nothing is worth that. Look after yourself, it is the only way you can be
    in the best position to help others, i.e your pupils.
    Eat well, and fit in some rigorous exercise where you can, this also aids sleep.