1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling like giving up the job search

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Bamberoo, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Bamberoo

Bamberoo New commenter

I'm currently a trainee, been making pretty steady progress, haven't really had that many complaints about my work. Clearly I have things that I need to work on but my curriculum and university mentors have seemed OK with how I'm doing as long as I fix a few things, which I am aware of and I'm working towards. I haven't been put on a progress report or cause for concern list. I'm under no illusions, I don't think I'm the best but my mentor has told me I have the makings of a really good teacher.

I've been applying for NQT jobs and I'm getting nowhere. The first few times I lost out to trainees who were based at the school. The most recent one I went on they just outright wouldn't give me an answer - seemed to be holding out until they interviewed another candidate. I'm starting to get really discouraged. I'm one of the last in my cohort to get a job. I'm a science trainee and I thought there was a science teacher shortage? I'm not being overly selective with where I apply, but at the same time I have over a decade's experience working in research so I don't want to sell myself too short. Should I just take the hint and get out of teaching once I get the qualification?

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

There is a need for Physicists and Chemists. Not so much Biologists.

You say you have over a decade's research experience and do not want to sell yourself short. Schools won't be that interested in your research - they want to know if you can teach. Rather than pushing your research, you'd be better off talking to your mentor how you can build on your strengths in the classroom for the next interview.

If you feel so discouraged you want to quit, why do you want the qualification?

TheoGriff and phlogiston like this.
  3. howdoyoueatyours?

howdoyoueatyours? New commenter

Don’t give up! When I got my first job it was really late in the year-June. Focus on your application letter and interview techniques. It isn’t easy, I have been teaching for nearly 20 years now and am finding it difficult to even get as far as an interview.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Don't give up. We are in strange times, and filling vacancies for September will not be high on most Heads' agendas at the moment.
    I am afraid that a decade in industry, although it will give you a load of experience that ought to make you a better teacher, won't count for much once you get into the strange self-referencing world of teaching. If you want to work with teenagers, communicating the skills of science (sorry, the skill to pass science exams) and the skills of life, then stay in teaching. It can be great.
    I would say though, be quite picky about the schools you apply for. You need one where the behaviour management will let you teach and where the school management will support you as you grow into your new role.
    I fear key recruiting time will be much later than normal this year.
    Good luck.

agathamorse and TheoGriff like this.
  5. NorthWest

NorthWest New commenter

I think it all depends on timing and subject. If you are say maths/physics & experienced & after the 31st May resignation deadline, schools have no choice really (Nqts are usually long gone and so £££ cannot be saved by hiring cheap) on top of the fact that resignation deadlines have passed. So you end up in a situation where the candidate is potentially in control, the school has to decided between UPS or paying supply £££ a day. YOU WILL BE FINE.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. tgletts

tgletts New commenter

Keep going! Ask for advice from your mentors and colleagues etc. See if you can practice in front of someone at home! Obviously if your financial situation permits, make sure that the job you're going for really is one that you want. It really is quite difficult if it is not.

7. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

I’m sure “finding it difficult to even get as far as an interview” isn’t about your ability as an experienced teacher, but due to SLTs going for cheaper and inexperienced NQTs. It’s sad that’s this is happening in education. NHS will not hire junior doctors in place of consultants. Teachers need to fight for salary portability. In many countries around the world salary portability for teachers in state school is given.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

In most disciplines trainee teachers have not got jobs yet, you only feel you are being left behind because you the other science teachers in your group have. Most schools do not start planning their staffing for September until after Easter, because of what is going on it may be even later this year. There is still plenty of time.
    You have not said what part of the country you are applying for jobs in, this can make a difference. The shortage of secondary teachers is not evenly distributed across the country. Some areas have growing secondary school numbers, others have decreasing numbers. There will be more jobs in cities, particularly those with recent immigrant communities. There are always jobs in London but cities such as Birmingham, Leeds, Bradford and Manchester also experience shortages.