1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

feeling inadequate

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by History-buff, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Can you not sit down with a member of staff at the school or your tutor to ask advice & way's ti improve?
    In asking for help, it would show that you understand your area of weakness and a willingness to do something about it.
    Think back to when someone inspired you to do something out of the ordinary, and work through, why that approach worked. In what way is it different to they way in which you plan lessons?
    Never be afraid to ask for help, that's what your mentor is there for? Have they said anything to you about it?

2. Since I posted my reply yesterday I've found this book, which may be of help to you.

By Isabella Wallace

<b class="h3color">Isabella Wallace[/b]
    (Author)

<b class="h3color">&rsaquo;[/b] Visit Amazon's Isabella Wallace Page
    Find all the books, read about the author, and more.

See search results for this author name
    Are you an Author?
    Learn about Author Central

(Author), Leah Kirkman (Author)Pimp your Lesson!: Prepare, Innovate, Motivate and perfect (Continuum Practical Teaching guides).
    Also of use maybe?
    The Lazy Teacher's Handbook By Jim Smith.
    How to Teach: The ultimate (and ultimately
    irreverent) look at what you should be doing in your classroom if you
    want to be the best teacher you can possibly be by Phil Beadle.
    I'm not saying that these books will answer all your problems, but I hope that they point you in the right direction.
    Good Luck.

3. Definitely stick with it. I've just finished my second placement, but also found my first placement extremely tough. Like you, I came from a non-teaching background, and in some ways was not entirely sure what to expect from teaching. The second block has been much, much better. To some extent, that has been down to some good advice from my class teacher and school-based tutor regarding what I can expect to achieve with a single lesson, so I would reflect the comments from the poster above - can you get some guidance and direction from your mentor about how to do things differently? Also, for your first placement, why should you be expecting to deliver anything more than a bog standard lesson? You're new to this! You'll learn new things every day, so give yourself a break and keep going! I would have thrown it all in after my first block if I'd had the option, but I'm really glad I didn't.

4. Don't quit! Remember you are only just starting out, I sometimes feel the same after a lesson especially if my students look blank by the end of it! Try reflecting on each lesson you do-what went well, what could be improved etc And observe different teachers in the school not just ones in your subject area. You can get some really good methods and ideas for teaching.
    Hope that helps a little bit :)

5. I am doing a PGCE at the min, but I am 3 weeks into my 2nd placement. I felt exactly the same in my 1st placement, and almost quit. I spoke to my tutor who was really helpful, and convinced me to stick with it. I am glad I have.
    The PGCE year is designed to be really tough, the essays, the expectations, the planning, and the lessons.
    I havent yet had 1 lesson which has been "perfect". I am really fed up with 3 out of my 4 groups - 2 of them are because I just cant seem to get my lessons right! I try to be organised and plan it properly, but my ideas just dont get anywhere ... grr. The annoying thing is, both of these classes I have taken over from my mentor who is great!
    I'm sure it will get easier, at least hopefully as an NQT when we aren't trying to take over classes for such a short period of time!
    So... hang in there. I'm sure all of us PGCE students are having doubts! AND ... at the end of it (4 months and counting!) we will have a qualification, even if we decide not to teach. Having a PGCE will make us all more employable, as employers know how tough the PGCE year is and how many people dont stick with it. It shows commitment and dedication ... and sets people above the others for these reasons!
    Chin up, grin and bear it, and you'll be soo proud of yourself come June :)