1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

feeling guilty

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by kanddd, Apr 2, 2012.

1. For the first time in many many years I have decided not to go into school and do any work. It will mean that I am behind with all the resources, but I am fed up with teachers saying that the TAs should go into school, in their holiday, to help get the rooms ready for next term.
    It is my break, we only get paid for the hours we work. (I know we all do many many more, but nothing is said about those unpaid hours.)
    Why do I feel guilty?

2. For the first time in many many years I have decided not to go into school and do any work. It will mean that I am behind with all the resources, but I am fed up with teachers saying that the TAs should go into school, in their holiday, to help get the rooms ready for next term.
    It is my break, we only get paid for the hours we work. (I know we all do many many more, but nothing is said about those unpaid hours.)
    Why do I feel guilty?

3. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

You are perfectly right - I always say, if I stacked shelves in Tesco you wouldn't expect me to work unpaid during my annual leave! This is just a job at the end of the day.
    I am a teacher and am not going in durign the holidays - I have a toddler and work full time so don't get to spend full days with him normally during the week. I have told my kids soryy, this is my family time, and they seem to accept it!

4. This made me so cross. Why on earth should you be expected to go into school? If you are, the teachers and management team in your school are so wrong. Don't feel guilty - enjoy your holiday! I would never expect the TAs to come into school. If I choose to do that, it is my choice - but I don't plan on going in either.

5. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Ooooooo, this made me mad!!!! On what we get paid, why ON EARTH should a TA go into school during the holidays (those of us that are only paid for term time). As you say, most of us do extra hours anyway - but at our own choice. We should absolutely NOT be told to work extra hours. Why doesn't your school do what other schools do - have an INSET day on the last day or first day of term to allow for getting rooms ready. Or the SLT take the children off your hands at the end of term.

PLEASE don't feel guilty - you are entitled to your break - you are not being paid. As previous poster said, if you were stacking shelves at Tesco, you wouldn't be going in on your time off.

6. I am already busy working at home. I am an HLTA with a huge diverse workload. This morning I have planned languages across the school for this summer term and am now onto PE for years R - 4. I then have a load of other bits to do including updating website, planning new displays, learning a new Dinocroc French story for KS1, planning after school clubs for next term plus updating the class SEN provision map and looking at IEPs ready for meeting with class teachers.

To be honest the list could go on and on and I feel under pressure to get it done and over with so I can have some holiday. I need to do it when my hubby is out at work as he gets very fed up with all I do at home when I am only paid from 8.45 -3.15pm, term time.

It seems to be the norm for TAs now and I don't think things are getting any better. I often wonder whether to give it all up and do something completely different. Anyone else?

7. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I would absolutely love to get out of education altogether- I know I would lose all the holidays but at least I'd be able to take my five weeks when there aren't loads of children around! Unfortunately, I cannot find any jobs available which pay even close to my current (term-time-only) salary for a full year's work. It's a real shame as I am certain there are many, many people who would happily take on my enormous HLTA workload in spite of the huge pressures which come with it (not that I think it's right for any of us to do all the things we have to do these days.)
    I have never in all the seventeen years I've worked as a TA/HLTA gone in during school holidays - I'm afraid I think that's just a step too far, even though, like Goldc, I am spending a lot of my holiday doing planning and preparation for next term.

8. Oooooo this just makes me mad! I would never expect a TA to come into school when they are not being paid. At my school the TA's work from 8-4:30 and whatever they have not finished they just continue on with the next day! No one cares and we usually make sure they stick to these hours because they do not get paid for working longer so why bother!
    DO NOT FEEL GUILTY!!!!!

9. You probably feel guilty because you did it in the past but now you have decided not to go in during your holiday. You are probably worrying about what your colleagues - who have known you as someone who works extra - will be thinking of your choice this holiday. Don't!!! It's completely counterproductive. You've chosen not to go into work during your holiday and you are 100% within your rights to do so. You've chosen to do this because you want to really enjoy your time off, so don't waste it by wondering what others are thinking about it or by feeling guilty for simply being on holiday - just like thousands of others who work in education. Enjoy your holiday, I'd imagine that like the rest of us; you've earned every sec of it.

10. Thank you for your support. I have had a phone call already telling me the day the year group teachers are going to be in. I said that it was not convenient to me and that I would see them at the start of term.
    Felt shaky but so glad I did it.

11. Well done! Now enjoy the rest of you hols! ;-)

12. Why are you doing all that work and planning? Why is a teacher not doing it?

13. Supersupply - that's just what I was thinking. I'm a HLTA and work really hard during term time. However my holiday time is really important to me (keeps me going through each half term) and posts like this one make me appreciate my HT. There is no way she would want me to be working during the holidays. She is very fair and makes sure EVERYONE (TAs included) get appropriate planning time (for interventions etc). I've spent a couple of hours today sending emails, updating School Council stuff but that's my choice, as is any of the work I do at home (of course there is some) during term time and I definately don't feel pressured to do it. Its a shame you are made to feel like that. Sounds like you have a heavy workload and deserve a well-earned break. Enjoy![​IMG]

14. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I want to work at your school !

15. So do I. Went to the HT just before the end of last term and told him I could not fit in everything that I do, and that I had been advised, by a high up advisor, that I should have some 'protected' time to complete some of my tasks. I was told that as I was so efficient in finishing my admin work that the class teacher gives me in less time than I have been given then I could take that as the time for my 'own' work. I replied then I would take the whole of the time I was given to finish off the admin tasks (go slower). I was then told that was not appropriate.