1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling guilty

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chocolate_cupcake, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I came home today and noticed that a pane of glass on my elderly neighbour's door was smashed in. Curious, I went upstairs and nobody was there. I then spoke to one of my other neighbours who said that a few days ago, the police forced their way in and an ambulance took him away. Fearing the worst, I just phoned the hospital and they told me that he is currently on a ward there. Obviously they couldn't give me any more information about him because of patient confidentiality.

I don't know him really well, but I did have the occasional coffee with him to keep him company and I regularly bought him things from Sainsburys because he couldn't get to our local big, nearby supermarket. In the past two weeks we have had Ofsted and 3 nights of our Year 5 and 6 school show. I was too busy to notice what had happened and I feel so guilty as a result. The poor man must have been lying there for god knows how long and nobody came to check until the police had to force their way in. I know he is not my family and I didn't do much for him apart from give him a bit of company and buy some shopping, but in a way I feel that what has happened is partly my fault. If I hadn't been so wrapped up in my own life, perhaps I would have noticed that something wasn't right.

I am just about to phone the hospital back to see if he wants any visitors. Nobody appears to be doing anything with the flat, the door is still smashed. Shouldn't the police or council board it up or something? I worry it'll attract unwanted visitors.

I also feel very sad that this had to happen in the first place. He mentioned a living brother a while ago, but I have never met him and the brother obviously didn't call very often. :( I just wish I could have done more...

2. Hi all,

I came home today and noticed that a pane of glass on my elderly neighbour's door was smashed in. Curious, I went upstairs and nobody was there. I then spoke to one of my other neighbours who said that a few days ago, the police forced their way in and an ambulance took him away. Fearing the worst, I just phoned the hospital and they told me that he is currently on a ward there. Obviously they couldn't give me any more information about him because of patient confidentiality.

I don't know him really well, but I did have the occasional coffee with him to keep him company and I regularly bought him things from Sainsburys because he couldn't get to our local big, nearby supermarket. In the past two weeks we have had Ofsted and 3 nights of our Year 5 and 6 school show. I was too busy to notice what had happened and I feel so guilty as a result. The poor man must have been lying there for god knows how long and nobody came to check until the police had to force their way in. I know he is not my family and I didn't do much for him apart from give him a bit of company and buy some shopping, but in a way I feel that what has happened is partly my fault. If I hadn't been so wrapped up in my own life, perhaps I would have noticed that something wasn't right.

I am just about to phone the hospital back to see if he wants any visitors. Nobody appears to be doing anything with the flat, the door is still smashed. Shouldn't the police or council board it up or something? I worry it'll attract unwanted visitors.

I also feel very sad that this had to happen in the first place. He mentioned a living brother a while ago, but I have never met him and the brother obviously didn't call very often. :( I just wish I could have done more...

3. It sounds like you've done quite a lot already. Stop feeling bad and go for a visit.

4. Is the flat secure? if it isn't, you could sort this out - particularly as nobody else seems to be doing anything. Also, you could visit the old man and ask him if there's anything he'd like you to do while he's in hospital.

Don't feel too guilty - you did your bit.

5. The police should have made sure the flat was secure. they usually do so it may be worth a phonecall to them to see if anything is going to happen. Don't feel too guilty, you normally do your bit, on this occasion you were busy and missed things. It happens. Don't beat yourself up about it, just help out now by checking his flat is ok and possibly visiting.

6. Thanks all. Phoned the local hospital, they said he is accepting visitors so going to pop in sometime this week after school. Still wish I could have done more but I suppose the best I can do now is visit and ask him if he needs me to do anything.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I used to get quite a lot of work repairing doors for and through the police.
    Give them a bell, they will have someone 'that does'.