1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling frustrated

Discussion in 'Science' started by Decostaj, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Decostaj

Decostaj New commenter

Hi

Any advice on courses to do for low ability that are included in Progress 8? I’ve been looking into Applied science but not sure it’s appropriate for low ability and the possibility of doing just a single science course at foundation level? Any one doing anything other that GCSE science?

Thanks

2. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

If you want progress 8 scores then GCSE is your only option. Either combined or triple. Anything else will not carry progress measures. The government won't include any qualification in progress 8 that overlaps with GCSE science content.

What are the issues you have with the GCSE course? Is it the number of exams? Amount of content? Required practicals? Application. It might pay to focus on some of these and cover them well rather than try to cover everything to a level that your students can't handle?

3. averagedan

averagedan Established commenter

We have the same problem - the GCSE course is unsuitable for a large proportion of our cohort but we have to make the kids jump through those hoops for progress 8. I suspect the situation will change again fairly soon.....

4. oceanroc7

oceanroc7 New commenter

" I suspect the situation will change again fairly soon....."
    Don't we just love a bit of change.

5. iyetd

iyetd New commenter

We had this debate and wanted to do the entry level certificate but got told no due to the same reasons as you stated.