1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling disheartened

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lunar546, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Lunar546

Lunar546 Occasional commenter

Feeling a little rubbish today. I am coming into teaching later in life (40+) although worked in education for the last 7 years. I am doing a Secondary PGDE in an Ebacc subject.

I have so far had 4 interviews. The first I withdrew from, as it wasn't the right school for me. For the other 3, I have passed the lunchtime 'cull', which suggests my classroom practice is ok. However, I have not yet secured a position for September.

I have asked for feedback on each occasion, which has not been particularly enlightening. I have also asked my AUM at school for mock interview practice, as this is obviously where I am struggling.

However the pressure of needing a job (mortgage, kids etc) and losing out each time to someone else from my course, is leaving a bitter taste. Especially as I am on the one on interview day they look too to calm their nerves, borrow pens (yes, really!) and so on.

Has anyone any other advice on what I can do to improve my chances? If I don't get a job soon I am going to have to start looking outside teaching, which will mean this last few months will have been in vain.

Feeling very fed up!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't worry too much, @Lunar546 .

You have obviously got a lot going for you, since you get shortlisted and pass the teaching observation. So well done there!

It's just the interview that is stopping you at the moment, but don't panic. There are loads more jobs coming up, you just need to get the technique right.

You need a trial interview, at least one, to be told if there is a simple problem. You could ask a bossy younger sister to ask you a few questions, after you've knocked on the door, walked in, shaken hands, etc etc, all dressed up in your interview outfit.

HERE are some possibles.

But first do read - or re-read - all my interview advice articles:

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Does calling for a reference mean that you've been shortlisted for interview? ***NEW ***

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

Best wishes

3. Lunar546

Lunar546 Occasional commenter

Thank you Theo. I will re-read them all. I have requested a mock interview with my AUM, so it may be something obvious to her that I'm not seeing. My husband tells me the only thing I am missing is 'The arrogance of youth'. Maybe he has a point!!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck anyway.