1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling Disheartened

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by littlemissviola, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Had my first formal interview for a HoD job on Wednesday (I'm acting in my current school while my HoD is on Maternity leave). Lost out to the internal candidate.
    Stayed for feedback which was really positive - they told me I'll make a fantastic head of department (just not there because they want to be the best school in the North West) and that I shouldn't feel despondent because I'll definitely get a HoD post.
    However, I can't help but feel a bit disheartened...I didn't do anything 'wrong' as such - just wasn't as good as their internal candidate. My main concern is that this is the only such job that has come up in the North West (and I can't move as 1. Husband works in Blackburn and 2. Have a whopping 100% mortgage - from about the last few months that they did them) this year. I know that I clearly can't expect to get the first post I interview for, but just don't feel that I know really how to go about actually getting the job next time as the feedback was all so positive.
    Anyway, moan over - just wondered if there was anyone out there who'd had similar feedback before and what had happened after?

2. Had my first formal interview for a HoD job on Wednesday (I'm acting in my current school while my HoD is on Maternity leave). Lost out to the internal candidate.
    Stayed for feedback which was really positive - they told me I'll make a fantastic head of department (just not there because they want to be the best school in the North West) and that I shouldn't feel despondent because I'll definitely get a HoD post.
    However, I can't help but feel a bit disheartened...I didn't do anything 'wrong' as such - just wasn't as good as their internal candidate. My main concern is that this is the only such job that has come up in the North West (and I can't move as 1. Husband works in Blackburn and 2. Have a whopping 100% mortgage - from about the last few months that they did them) this year. I know that I clearly can't expect to get the first post I interview for, but just don't feel that I know really how to go about actually getting the job next time as the feedback was all so positive.
    Anyway, moan over - just wondered if there was anyone out there who'd had similar feedback before and what had happened after?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

First of all, congratulations, you're doing a lot of things right- your application & your interview!
    Yes, it is disappointing not to get the job. But from their point of viiew, from your application you were worth looking at, but in the end couldn't offer any more than their current person, who let's face it they & the school know- so less disruption for them!
    You never know after maternity leave the person may decide not to return & you will be the internal (not that that guarantees you the job!).
    So take heart, you're doing so much right!

4. Thanks guys! Feeling a bit more positive now. Just going to keep applying when things do come up.