1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling despondent :(

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ninamichaels, Mar 29, 2011.

1. If you really want to do it then don't give up! I'm 40 something.... am a mum, work full-time in an industry not related to education but have taken days off here and there over the past year to observe in a variety of secondary schools. I also arranged with one school to come in and observe the first lesson one day a week for an extended time period and arranged with work to come in late one day a week and make up the time at the end of the day (therefore not using more holiday to do this). I also needed to do an equivalency test to get my maths where it needed to be.

I have been offered a GTP place so, I'm living proof it can be done! Both my supporting school and the Uni were impressed with the variety of schools I have been into and the observations I made while I was there. I keep a notebook and after each observation rush off and write about what I've seen so I don't forget - all this info found it's way onto my applications and gave me plenty to talk about at interview. Good luck!

2. misscanarian80

misscanarian80 New commenter

Thank you all so much for your messages and sorry for the late reply. I have only just got home.
    I don't know how to reply to the topic as a whole so have just replied to the last comment.
    I am hoping to teach History at KS3 and KS4, so Secondary school. My degree structure allows for it to be largely classified as a Humanities, English, RE or History degree, with the final 120 points being the decider. I have always had a love of History so it seemed a no-brainer to amalgamate my desire to teach with my constant wanting to talk History, but now wonder if maybe I will be better opting for different. Any thoughts on this would be hugely appreciated....
    I am so glad that I am not too old, or it appears not anyway, and never even thought of using holidays at work here and there to volunteer. My evenings at the moment seem to be packed with housework, ironing and studying but I could look into volunteering one Saturday afternoon a fortnight somewhere.
    Again, thanks and kind regards,

Col x