1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling defeated

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by JAFF23, Mar 16, 2016.

1. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

I used to love teaching but now it seems a drag to even get out of bed. Posted on here previously that I am on informal capability. My recent observation was a no brainer really: no way was I going to get what previously would have been good: ended up with RI so need to chat with SLt to put together some goals followed by yet another observation. A colleague put me in the right direction and told me to start job hunting but my confidence has been knocked severely. I always thought and have been told (even now) that I am a capable teacher however putting a smile on my face and going through another interview in which you have to ramble of a load of xxxx just to get a job puts me off completely!! Sorry for the rant!!!

JeannieMc likes this.
  2. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

Of course you're not going to feel like job hunting when you feel so low. Wait until the holidays when you have some space to think. For now focus on your teaching but don't over think it. The problem with this whole process is that teaching doesn't come naturally any more as you try to jump through their hoops.
    Treat yourself well - you know you are a good teacher.

JeannieMc likes this.
  3. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

I'm in a similar position. I AM a good teacher (graded no less in over 20 years in the job). The dreaded 'O' said some of my lessons are inadequate. Deep despair strikes. How can I change so much overnight? After thinking and being put on 'informal capability' and then 'this goes to formal capability if you don't meet all of the teaching standards we have set for you' I'm beginning to think I'm too old (in my 50's) and on UPS3.
    I know I'm a good teacher - it's just that I've now lost my confidence, my self esteem, etc.
    As my family tell me 'chin up' .... but it's not that easy!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Seriously, going for an interview is a good experience. After something similar to yours (if I can read between the lines and the situation is actually way worse that what you have posted here) it was fab to turn up at a school and have a headteacher smile at me. To have a member of SLT smile during my lesson and tell me it was excellent. To be treated like a capable adult and a fellow professional.
    Seriously, try hard to get enough motivation to apply, the visits and interviews will help your self esteem enormously.

That 20 year thing is a weird one.
    Good or outstanding for 17 years. A year of apparently inadequate every day. Good/RI for a year. Then back to outstanding in my 20th year.
    Don't actually believe the gradings!

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Very good advice. As multiple lines of research have shown, they are certainly not to be taken seriously - especially when used in the way described as part of a capability process - and I wonder about the professionalism of people in charge of such a process as this. Presumably, they are still not aware of the facts. Which is a poor show in 2016

wanet, cazzmusic1 and JeannieMc like this.
  6. JeannieMc

JeannieMc New commenter

IMHO they are all in cahoots. 'O' will work with the schools, local ed. authority to 'get rid' of the 'expensive, older' teachers, if it's what is needed to cut costs. It matters not that a human being(s) is in the mix somewhere. We are all expendable. The younger teachers are cruising for an awful bruising down the road. At least a lot of us older teachers have paid off our mortgages/loans etc., but how the heck are the younger one's going to do it in future, with the loans and mortgages they have/will accumulated? They aren't.

Personally, I'm disgusted and totally put off by teaching unions. NUT has called for a day's strike; well they are a day late, and a $ short, IMO. They fall just short of being collaborators in this whole pantomime; useless.

7. JeannieMc

JeannieMc New commenter

topgirl1:

The org. below are great for support for teachers experiencing 'hard' times, who are in need of help and support:

UK-wide: 08000 562 561

Teachers Support Network
    Offer help and support to teachers 24/7.

psycho-mum likes this.
  8. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

A huge thank you to all for such lovely comments and suggestions.

I am seriously considering my situation as a 'no way I can prove myself as the good teacher I really am' and evaluating my options.

I never thought it would come to this. I imagined myself in 4 years time smiling and waving happily as I left the school for retirement with the wind in my hair, the sun shining on my face and looking forward to spending days on the beach. Instead I can only hang my head in personal shame.

9. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Don't hang your head! It's their shame, not yours!

What have you done in the past, when faced with a tough class or a stroppy child? Apply that same know-how and tenacity to get yourself through this awful experience. It's really not your fault - just read through the other similar posts on here and you'll see it's all too common, especially for those of us of a certain age.

Whatever you do, don't be ashamed and look after yourself - time to get selfish!

ValentinoRossi and wanet like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@maud1901

Hang your head in shame?? You'd better not.

Since when have these observations EVER meant anything?

We all go into work to do a decent job. A fair day's work for a fair day's pay. What is it with this relentless quest for 'outstanding'? It's nonsense.

Who comes back from the shops saying they've had outstanding service? You don't need it to be. Except in an emergency when you're stuck in a foreign country and you've lost our wallet. THEN you need your insurance company to do an outstanding job. Otherwise good is good enough. Hell, SATISFACTORY is fine.

Are we performing seals? Are our STUDENTS uniformly outstanding? That would be exhausting! Half the battle is the kids. Last lessons on a hot day in June? Going to be outstanding? Do me a favour. Nor should it be. We're human.

Teachers! Do not be taken in by this garbage. You try hard, you're well-prepared and you're fair to the kids. That is fine.

What's wrong with RI??? Who's arrogant enough to believe they can't improve?

You, maud1901, are not the dunce. It's the lunatics in charge of the asylum.

11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if you have had enough of interview days. I was working on supply and the agency contacted me about posts that I might be interested in. In which case they paid me to go and do a full day's teaching with the possibility of a permanent post. At some stage during the day I was informally observed then had a chat later in the day. So much a better process. I taught all day so relaxed into doing what I do best, they saw me teach for longer than 30 minutes so saw if I could do the job or just blag an interview. It meant a fixed contract period but that eventually turned into a permanent position.
    Regarding the "lets get rid of experienced (expensive) teachers. Oh yes indeed.
    Some schools seem to aim to have a constant stream of NQTs/GTPs who they break within two years just to round off the inhuman treatment.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

Thank you all for such lovely words. I appreciate you all taking your time to reply.

13. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

@maud1901 how many children have you helped during your career? Would they want you to hang your head in shame? And even though they aren't the ones calling the shots, isn't their opinion more important? Who knows you best? A bunch of jumped up eejits whose criteria go far beyond "making things better for the world by teaching kids stuff that matters" or the people whose lives you have changed for the better? S*d the lot of them. Chin up, head high.

14. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

How lovely of you joannagb. I now teach the children of children I taught years ago - so satisfying BUT it's time to think of myself now. I feel totally unable to cope with the constant batterings I'd be letting myself in for. Yes ... they ARE eejits. Interestingly they cannot offer advice. They just sweep in with a clipboard and then leave with the hot larva spewing from beyond the door causing mayhem, chaos and total devastation.

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter