1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

feeling de-skilled in a small school

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cleobud, Nov 13, 2018.

1. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

As Head of a small school I'm beginning to resent the amount of time I'm spending on opening and locking up, answering the phone, the door etc. things that in a larger school would be done by admin or support staff. Due to budget constraints I have a teaching commitment which takes lots of my time in planning, marking, liaising with the other teacher etc. Our office member is part time and support staff are very few.
    How do other Heads ensure they feel motivated?

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I feel your pain! We have 3.5 teachers including me and I also have a teaching commitment. Cleaner locks up when she leaves - job done. If anyone (teacher) is going to be later (7pm) then they lock up - job done. Opening - whichever teacher is in first (or breakfast club leader) job done. Office - use the answerphone and speak to parents they know when to ring. We have also a rota for office duties for children at lunch time - they answer the phone, take messages, open the post, do shredding etc. It works for us but it has taken time to get everyone used to it - now it's second nature and everyone understands their locking up duties and security. What irritates me more than anything is parents bringing in things that they have forgotten for their children - musical instruments, lunches, swimming/PE kit/sun cream, etc. One more I had 10 visits all of which take up time as they all want a chat. I used to then take them down to each class - now I get the children to collect it from the office.

Teaching - that's a whole other story in itself!!!

welshwales likes this.
  3. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

Marshall this sounds like most days I have too! I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface with my Head job as dealing with a multitude of tasks. But is a bigger school the solution?

4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

It's totally different - it's what you value. I love being involved with everyone and everything - you are not so much in a larger school.