1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling completely threatened by new member of staff

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Jun 27, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

OMG feeling completely threatened and intimidated by a new teacher who hasn't even started yet. I'm just finishing my 2nd yr of teaching and think I'm doing pretty well. We've got an NQT joining in September and she is being made out to be the best thing since sliced bread: "she's going to be the best thing that's happened to this school, she'll show us how it should be done, she had all the right answers and more in her interview, everything will change for the better when she starts, she'll be a real credit to us"
    She hasn't even started yet and unfortunately I already don't like her! Haven't even met her! How can people form such strong opinions from seeing her once at interview! Just got chance a bad feeling that she's going to be such a strong character, where as I'm quite quet, I dunno, I know it's petty but I feel so small already and she hasn't even started! Sorry, just had to vent!

2. Don't be! Plenty of people can talk the talk but we'll see! As for the staff member saying this its a bit cheeky, as an NQT her experience in education is very limited and I am sure you can teach her a thing or too!!

3. v12

v12

You make it sound like a scene from Green Wing. D'you remember the really pretty harpist who moved in with Dr Caroline Todd and was insufferably well-organised. And pretty.
    Anyway, I shall try and allay your fears......
    She's probably short, spotty and smells rather too warm - if you know what I mean!
    Make sure you bagsy the comfy chair in the staff room or move her pigeon hole to the very bottom or top or better still find out her photocopy number and use it all the time or...
    ...I love getting revenge, me!
    I'm sure you're panicking for no good reason - I bet she's lovely and friendly.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Awww nooo. I hate working with people who are dead confident and everyone loves, mainly because I am jealous of them. And yes I do know that isn't exactly an appealing thing, but hey I do have many faults.

I do feel for you, I'd be the same. But I bet she turns out to be nice after all...most people do.

5. deanow

deanow New commenter

Do you think there is a place people go where they learn how to demoralise an entire staff by telling them how amazing new staff are going to be? Or maybe they were saying the same things about us before we started! Anyway, just wanted to say...you are NOT alone. [​IMG]

6. I really feel for you. BUT remember she has an awful lot to live up to whether she wants it or not. I bet she is dead nervous and although outwardly confident i have yet to meet an NQT who wasn't in need of lots of support and encouragement.
    What if she falls flat on her ***?
    I would so hate people to have such unrealistically high expectations of me,
    Keep reminding yourself of the fantastic job you are doing and don't worry.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Remember how you felt? A bag of nerves probably - and so will she!
    I wonder how she would feel if she knew this was being said! Horrified most likely.
    Be lovely to her. She will want your support and will most likely feel intimidated by you!

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

You say it yourself:
    Give the poor girl a chance!

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Good grief. She's an NQT and you are already in post! You have the power! Jump on her on the first day! Let her know - where you sit, which cup is yours, when her playground duty is, when her dishwasher duty is and so on.. By the end of the first week she should be washing your car in her lunch hour....

10. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Maybe they said the same about you before you started? :) You'll have brought your strengths to the overall team... the new NQT will too.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

When another NQT arrives, perhaps the one you're worried about will develop Middle Chid Syndrome [​IMG]
    Welcome her. She'll most probably be very nice. Tell her that you'll be the one she can come to when she wants those obvious questions she's too embarrassed to ask answered.
    Your boss is pleased that s/he's appointed someone with good credentials. That's normal too.

12. rainbowdrop86

I will of course welcome her etc! I would never be mean to her, i dont know her! Its just intimidating when she's been given such a high status already!!

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Fruitloop86, think again. You don't even know the woman. everybody has been kind and considerate but you've come back with nothing more than a repetition of your first post.

14. rainbowdrop86

Im not entirely sure what you mean inky! Why should i think again! I know everyone has been kind and considerate! I said that id of course welcome her. Not sure what ur getting at

15. Martin87

Martin87 New commenter

Its not a popularity contest so I don't know why you're worrying. If she is outstanding then that's beneficial for you, the school and the children. The best schools are where the staff all work together and support each other.
    Just concentrate on the children in your class, that's what you're in the job for.

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

When I feel like you, which my school (tricky right now) is often, I hate hearing from sensible people who make sensible points. Especially when they are right!

But I've been in a strop all day because other people keep telling me how wonderful another member of staff is. (Which obviously I take to mean how naff I am!) Luckily not everyone thinks so...

17. I don't blame you one bit for feeling a touch insecure. With the judgemental climate in schools it's hardly surprising. Add to that the way we all feel when somebody else is praised to the skies by the folks in charge. We naturally begin to feel wanting. It's normal. Cut yourself some slack, and then try to ignore it. She can't be perfect! Nobody is. Those praising her aren't perfect either, so don't give too much weight to what they say. Try to keep an open mind and judge for yourself when you get to know her.

18. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Just wanted you to know that this happens all the time at my school. Every new person is hailed a saviour and the golden shine mostly always ends wearing off. Got a new head starting in sept so maybe it will all change

19. Go on your first impressions when you meet her; they are rarely wrong. She might be lovely, you never know! We had a 'fantastic new teacher' start with us mid-year a couple of years back. She is nothing special, she just takes every opportunity to tell everyone how great she is and shouts down anyone who disagrees. Fortunately SMT are beginning to see the light but has taken a long time and a lot of gritted teeth.

20. I'm going to be very honest...
    Our university told us what to say and allt he buzz words/jargon that would wow at interview. She will be a breath of fresh air because there's a pretty good chance she has a decent understanding of new ideas and proposals for the curriculum.
    Having said that, they are going to put a great deal of pressure on her if they expect that she will be able to brilliantly deliver everything she said at interview. How many of us have not done everything possible to make ourselves look amazing at interview and actually extended the truth or embellished a little?
    Try to be positive. She's probably lovely and you might make a great and valued friend and colleague.