1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling broody again already...is this normal?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by bundalph, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Hello everyone!
    It has been a wee while since I have been on here so I hope it's okay to come stomping back in with a new thread.
    After a very, very difficult pregnancy with severe SPD and a not so good labour and a section, I swore I was never having another baby. I also was what was technically called a "geriatric prima-gravida" so I am getting on a bit! 10 months after the birth of my beautiful DD, I am starting to feel broody already!
    I am guess I am just wondering if there are any other mums pushing 40 who had a second baby? Did anyone else have SPD with their first pregnancy and did it come back with their second. I don't know how I would cope with a toddler if I was on crutches. I do know a few ladies who had their first baby at 40 so I know it is possible to have a healthy, happy baby at this age. It's the SPD that's bothering me really.
    Cheers!

2. Hello everyone!
    It has been a wee while since I have been on here so I hope it's okay to come stomping back in with a new thread.
    After a very, very difficult pregnancy with severe SPD and a not so good labour and a section, I swore I was never having another baby. I also was what was technically called a "geriatric prima-gravida" so I am getting on a bit! 10 months after the birth of my beautiful DD, I am starting to feel broody already!
    I am guess I am just wondering if there are any other mums pushing 40 who had a second baby? Did anyone else have SPD with their first pregnancy and did it come back with their second. I don't know how I would cope with a toddler if I was on crutches. I do know a few ladies who had their first baby at 40 so I know it is possible to have a healthy, happy baby at this age. It's the SPD that's bothering me really.
    Cheers!

3. I am 24 weeks pregnant with my first so not speaking from personal experience. My cousin was also on crutches with her first for the same reason but breezed through her second pregnancy. Also a parent of a child I teach was 48 when she had her first and only child. She has just started at my nursery school aged 3 so Mum is 51. That should make you feel like a spring chicken! Good luck for whatever path you decide to take :eek:)

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I have a friend who's 42 and TTC her 1st.
    I understand the broody bit! From day 1 of my son being born i planned to try for no. 2 when he was a year old!
    So, i was 31 when my son was born and 33 when my daughter was born. she's 4 months now. I have one of each and swore that was it, but part of me is thinking 'could I have a 3rd?'. I'm sure I will get over that feeling!
    There's no reason why you can't have a happy, healthy baby at 40 if you're happy and healthy yourself! I'm sure some 40 year olds are more fit and healthy than some 20 year old mums i've seen!
    Sorry, can't help with the SPD.

5. I have a friend who had spd with her first but was fine with her second. But i also have a cousin who had no problems with the first pregnancy but then quite bad SPD with the second. She was unable to be alone with the eldest (16 months when baby was born) from about 6 months pg, til 6 weeks after the birth (as she had a section) as she couldn't pick her up or carry her. I think SPD is a risk with any pregnancy, but I'm sure you would find a way to cope.
    My Aunt just had her second baby at 43, and my Grandma had her youngest when she was 45, so I don't think your age should stop you considering having another.

6. Thanks folks
    I think it's the SPD that worries me more than the age! If I was as bad as I was with LO, then I wouldn't be able to lift her at all. That would upset me. But I guess many women have dealt with problem pregnancies. Think I need to give my body a longer break though before I start thinking of getting preggers again!

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

If you wait a bit longer, you'll get to a stage where you hardly ever have to lift your LO. We live in a 2nd floor flat and pretty much as soon as my son walked i trained him to walk up the stairs so I wouldn't have to carry him! He was 26lbs at his 1 year check, so you can see why! He's 2 now and i only ever have to lift him into his cot, into his car seat and for a cuddle.
    Do you have anyone who could help out next time you're pregnant?

8. Thanks Chica - I didn't think of the fact that, once LO starts walking, I won't have to lift as much! I don't think I would be mad enough to try to get pregnant before LO is two, even if it means being that wee bit older. Unfortuanately, neither hubby nor I have any family particularly near us - mine all live in another country.

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Haha I have a 22 month gap between mine [​IMG] well and truly mad!!

10. 22 months? You brave woman :)
    I have to say though that it is always nice to hear support for older mums. Some colleagues were chatting the other day and were commenting on how dangerous it was to have babies in your 40s so it's lovely to think that I might still have a few years baby-making ability in me yet!!!!

11. My LO is nearly 11 months and I'm sooo broody! Going to try and hold off so I'll have been back at work for a full year before going on next mat leave, although I know from past experience that fertility is a strange old beast. I don't want to get too used to unbroken nights and having my body to myself!

12. Can't advise on SPD or being an older mum, but I am 31 weeks with number 2 and number 1 is 19 months, so I know about the close age gap! I've had a tough second pregnancy so far (massive subchorionic haemorrhage and suspected pre-term labour) which has involved a lot of bed rest and no lifitng...yeah right, not likely with a toddler! What I'm saying is you can't predict how it will go, but once you're in that situation, you somehow just get through. I've had days when it all seems too much and like I was silly to think I could do it, but we're nearing the finish line now. Having the support of my recently retired dad has been amazing, but friends nearby would definitely support and help you - everyone loves a pregnant lady!
    Best of luck if you do decide to give it a go!
    xxx

13. Thank you all for your replies. Laura Lou, good luck and thank you for your sensible words about getting through things when you have to.You are quite right. Take care and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.You're nearly there!