1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

feeling anxious - need help quick

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kangaroo.poop, Jan 24, 2011.

1. As i have written before, i am off work with a broken ankle. My mum offered me a lift to work to see collegues ect as they had said to pop in and see them when i felt like it. Well i arranged for my mum to pick me up and take me this morning. I just feel worried or anxious about going and i'm not really sure why but i just don't really want to go!!
    help, what up with me?

2. As i have written before, i am off work with a broken ankle. My mum offered me a lift to work to see collegues ect as they had said to pop in and see them when i felt like it. Well i arranged for my mum to pick me up and take me this morning. I just feel worried or anxious about going and i'm not really sure why but i just don't really want to go!!
    help, what up with me?

3. You will feel better for seeing them I reckon. What is the cause of your anxiety? Why are you worried about seeing them?

4. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I have no idea why but i always feel like that. When i leave a school, even after 4-5 years, I feel odd going back in.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

So don't go.

6. hi
    i was kind of worried about seeing them all as the last time was before xmas. i maybe expected too much. maybe its just the way i was feeling or tiredness as i struggle to sleep. i had a nice time with the children and talked to them about why i have been away. i just got the feeling that i was in the way, shouldn't be there or have stayed for very long. either way some people i usually spend many working hours with i would have expected more conversation. think it may have been to early to visit or maybe some staff were shocked by me as i am

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

If I didn't do things that make me feel anxious I would be bored stiff. I get mild anxiety about all sorts of social interactions - phone calls, visits, clubs, all sorts of things that involve other people. I do them anyway and often enjoy them greatly. I think this generalised anxiety is very common and you just have to get on with it - or be a hermit.
    Hope you visited your friends and had a good gossip.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh, crossed post. Sound like it was not a huge success but never mind - you did it.

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Actually, my point was 'Be an adult and make a decision for yourself'.

10. only seemed moderately successful, can't figure if i did something wrong or my tiredness just made me feel this way. really hit home that i won't be able to even move round the room with one crutch once im recovering.
    i don't know what i expected, i just didn't feel as hugely welcomed as i did.
    i didn't call before i went, don't know if i should email saying "was nice to see everyone and would be nice to see everyone again before i come back," and adding something like "let me know when its covienient"

11. I am finding this whole thread rather puzzling. It would seem that your colleagues were not as welcoming as you had hoped - do you think it was personal or is it just that they were busy and didn't have as much time to make a fuss of you? Why would you think you had done something wrong?
    I know you have been in pain with your broken ankle but it will heal and you will be able to walk without crutches in due course. If you are having trouble sleeping ask your doctor for help. You seem unusually down about this. Is there something else going on?

12. well yes, i had a death in the family a few weeks ago and the family business nearly went bankrupt.
    i don't want fuss, i think i expect too much from people. a few members of staff mentioned negative changes that have happened in my absence. i don't sleep well due to the pain so wake when i need pain killers. i don't know why i think i have done something wrong, i just have a tendancy to feel like this about things.

13. What were you expecting from a visit like this? These are your colleagues, not your BFF, and while visiting might be nice it is a disruption to a working day where everyone will be busy. You say you didn't let them know you were coming - no wonder they weren't rolling out the red carpet!

14. Oops - your last post puts a slightly different perspective on things but I still think you were a bit daft going in unannounced. It's natural to be a bit down when you're immobile and in pain - don't make it worse by feeling bad over what is, after all, a very minor incident.

15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Exactly. I have a colleague on m/l at the moment. She messaged people and dropped in hoping to get some people to go for lunch. We were all pleased to see her but I think she's forgotten how busy we all are. Certainly I only had time to say hello very briefly - lunch was a complete no-no.

I don't really know why you expected people to have much time for you during their working day. This isn't about you: it's about how busy people are.

16. i didn't expect people to drop everything, but i just left feeling that i shouldn't really have bothered. i didn't message because i had been told to pop in if i felt like it. Whatever point i am trying to make, i came away feeling disheartened and worried about what effect more time off will have.

17. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I think it sounds like people were just busy. On any working day I can't imagine being able to stay long and talk to someone even though I'd like to. It might be different if you'd been very ill but with a broken ankle people know you'll be back soon.

18. bnm

bnm

Having the time off is nothing to do with your reception.
    During the school day everyone is really busy with their minds crammed full of all the things they are trying to do/remember.
    When you go back to work you will slip back in like you did before and it will seem as if you have never been away.
    When people pop in to visit you, you'll be pleased to see them but too busy to sit down for a long chat.

19. Maybe that's true.
    I throw out invitations to visit to family and friends all the time. I'd still expect them to ring before turning up!

20. I am actually quite worried about you. You have had a death in the family and were facing bankruptcy - that is a lot to be coping with. I really don't want to be harsh but you are making a meal out of this broken ankle; are you focusing on this and the unsatisfactory visit to school as a way of not having to cope with what is very much more important?
    Of course I, aand I am sure everyone else here, am sympathetic to your ankle and the time you are having to take off, but really, in the scheme of things, isn't that big a deal. So things aren't going well at school in your absence - how is that your problem?
    You must go and see your doctor - you obviously need more or better pain relief and you need to talk to someone about the feelings you are experiencing. Do it tomorrow.
    I do wish you well kangaroo.