1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling a bit lost!

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Happyu, Nov 5, 2019.

1. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I'm with @seasoned and @heldon. I have just come back from a week in the Canaries, paying considerably less than I would have paid during term time.And this exemplifies what retirement is all about. It's the possibilities that all this extra time gives you when you retire. I personally don't think there's much of a trade off between having 'me' time and coping on less money. Is it just me or is the 'less money' thing a bit of a red herring? Late fifties/early sixties, the chicks are self sufficient (or blooming well should be), the mortgage is paid, you have a lump sum and an inflation proof pension which covers your needs and contingencies.If you want/need extra cash, find some part time work.that doesn't impinge on your lifestyle. I know people will have taken career breaks, got divorced, been ill and started teaching later in life, but I am far better off now financially, as well as every other way, than I was a decade or two ago with a fat mortgage to pay and three kids to support on a single income. I personally haven't seen a trade off in a financial sense at all, quite the reverse. Just in case this sounds unbearably smug, I have struggled today , coming from 25 degree heat to dank, damp single figures.

Fazzoletto and seasoned like this.
  2. Oldbutnotreally

Oldbutnotreally New commenter

Although not in the same position as the OP, I completely understand and sympathise. I think as teachers, we are so focused on working at a pace and finding it hard to let up when we stop. As a Head who also retired in August, I have found it hard to not keep busy and I'm constantly clock watching and trying to fill my time. If I don't have something to do I also feel lost and then feel anxious as a result. Retirement isn't always as fulfilling as we think! However, on a more positive note, I am getting better at sitting down for 20 minutes to watch daytime TV or read these forums! I know I have to give it time and learn to not be guilty if I'm not doing something useful!

Happyu, Fazzoletto and eljefeb90 like this.
  3. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

It takes many months to readjust from the frantic, 'not enough minutes in a day' mindset. We are all creatures of habit and, particularly as teachers , who are constantly racing against the clock, we need our routines. The important thing is to create new routines and establish a yearly pattern to your retirement. I plan my year around blocks of part time work and holidays . And yes, I literally do long term and short term plans on my calendar.Having been retired nearly four years, the year has established itself around blocks of around three to four months in total of casual work scattered throughout the year, and a similar amount of holiday time. I have spent quite a bit of time on DIY projects but I'm cutting down on that. The rest of the time is spent with U3A activities and family/social commitments, which have been brilliant. They have opened up a new area for friendships and there is no issue with missing meetings when I am on holiday or working.

Happyu, seasoned and Oldbutnotreally like this.
  4. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Won't do day time tv. Daytime radio yes. Reading, yes. Future Learn courses -yes. Crafting, yes, cooking , yes. Gardening-yes, walking -yes, fixing my bike-yes, planning next adventure-yes etc etc

But for me, no daytime tv!

I always felt as a teacher, I was working in "double time". When I meet ex-colleagues, I realise I now exist in "single time" as they always seem in such a rush!

just find whatever works for you and enjoy it, be happy!

eljefeb90 likes this.
  5. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

I’m actually enjoying doing nothing at the moment!

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Reading your post it seems to me that you want to have your cake and eat it. You have returned to your school as a cover teacher but yet still want the prestige and status you had previously. It's never going to happen.

You have to accept that now you are the cover bod and your job is to keep classes going when their teachers are away. You say you feel like a visitor, well to many of the students who weren't in your previous class ( I assume you are in primary) you are a visitor; you pop in when the 'real' teacher is away. It's a hard fact of life that things have changed, your status has gone and you are a fill in.

That doesn't mean to say your job is any less important but you need to focus and do your best in your new role. A child's education is important and if you can keep a class on track and making progress while their teacher is away then you will be benefitting the children and your absent colleagues will be grateful to you that you they don't have lots of catching up to do.

Your role has changed and your attitude to your new working life must change with it. You are doing a vital job that contributes hugely to the smooth running of your school. Maybe consider this the start of a new career but it's not the job you used to do and as soon as you come to terms with the new reality the more happy and settled you'll be. Good luck.

seasoned and Weald56 like this.
  7. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I think you need to tell him he’s not creating an account, it’s already there waiting to be looked at! Together with calculators and advice on best options. He’s not committed to anything just for checking.