1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling a bit down.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Supplygirl111, May 21, 2020.

1. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

I graduated in 2019 and I have been a supply teacher since.
    I am trying to apply for jobs but not hearing back :( I asked the other day about how far is too far for travel, but there just seems to be hardly any jobs around me;
    I saw a girl from my PGCE last year post she has landed her first job and it got me down since I feel i'm still going to be on supply come the next academic term and I just feel my time is not coming :(

2. e_stevenson82

e_stevenson82 New commenter

Don't give up, you're gaining loads of experience on supply. Can you get some feedback on your personal statement from uni or SLT contacts you have made?

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi supplygirl111

Of course you are feeling a bit down. Who wouldn't in the middle of a pandemic when they are looking for employment. I am sure many on here would read your post and empathise with you.

Firstly, try not to compare yourself with others which is hard to do ; but if you do, that will definitely make you unhappy.

Secondly, you do have a dilemma about travelling, but is there any way around it?

Is it possible for you to move? Or say live near your school in the week and travel back to your main home?

Even in the best of times it is difficult to find a good school - one where the behaviour is good and the school well managed. At least this way, you have time to have a good look around and choose somewhere you are going to be happy.

You may not be hearing back from job applications because of the schools being partly shut, dealing the issues of re-opening etc.

4. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

Your time will definitely come. Things are carp at the moment, but it won’t always be like this. Hugs. Xx

Lara mfl 05, gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There will be jobs - but the traditional job hunting period has been destroyed this year.

What is not certain is how many teachers will have resigned during this lockdown period so keep your eyes peeled for September

6. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

gold19951 likes this.
  7. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

Try not to feel too down.These are extremely unusual times full of uncertainty for everyone.I agree with @pepper5 about not comparing yourselves to others although I still do it far too much and I’m 54:).

gold19951, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

In our area there are quite a few teacher vacancies appearing for September so don't give up.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I suspect there will be a bonanza of jobs at Christmas this year.

10. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I saw your other post. Last academic year I travelled between 60-90 mins each way. I was usually getting home at 7pm. It was a short term contract so I knew there was an end date. Could you put up with that for just a year to get yourself out there?

gold19951, BertieBassett2 and pepper5 like this.
  11. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Supplygirl111,, don't worry, it may be minor things that have stopped you getting an interview and a post, may I ask do you get people to check your application form and what is your subject? Your friend may be lucky in getting the post, it does not mean that you are a less of a teacher and look on the positive, you will gain more experience on supply then your friend will get in their post, due to the need to have a range of management skills, teaching techniques and a hide like the that of a Rhino to deal with the poor behaviour and attitude of some students and staff.

pepper5, gold19951 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  12. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

Lots of good advice on here already. You are looking for a job in the craziest of times. You have the confidence and ability to do supply - lots of teachers wouldn't have, so don't under sell yourself.
    Please don't compare yourself to others, 'Comparison is the thief of joy' (Theodore Roosevelt). Easier said than done I know, but very true.

pepper5, gold19951 and BertieBassett2 like this.