1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling a bit bad...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Feb 22, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Lol because he's in school to learn and everyone else had had to do the work... And also if I'd let it slip this time, he'd just try it again next time!

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

You sound like a machine ....

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Ok, what would you have done?

4. Of course he's in school to learn, he's just trying to see what he can get away with. I'm sure his Mum was pleased you have such high expectations of him!

5. Not sure what age he is?
    Talk to his previous year groups staff?
    Senco?
    Mum.
    Having a plan/tick list of what you can do, to check out what is happening, may help reduce your own feelings ? Reduce the bad feelings/confusion.

6. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Try this book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1903269083/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=5250334295&ref=pd_sl_4ou7tbqj9x_b
    I've just started reading it but it sounds like this boy's behaviour might be attachment related, a need to control the situation and do things on his terms would not be untypical.
    If you google attachment and learning I am sure you will find some stuff on the web as well.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

AKA spoilt brat syndrome!

8. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I sincerely hope you aren't teaching either of my children with an attitude like that. The OP asked for some help understanding and dealing with behaviour she found difficult and frustrating from one of her pupils and I suggested something she might find enlightening and helpful.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

TES bingo!

10. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

As a mum I would have supported my child's teacher on this and wouldn't want them spending their evening feeling bad. I love my children, but they need to know boundaries and I think he was pushing them here.

11. I work at a school for students who are emotionally disturbed or have behavior issues. I think you did the correct thing. I have students with mood disorders, attachment issues, bipolar disorders etc and while all these can be used as an excuse for not doing work, it doesn't change the fact that the students are at school to learn. If you allow students to use a disorder as a way to not do their work, then you are enabling them. Provide modifications to the work, support, scaffolding, what ever you want, but you know your students' capabilities and if you let him not do his work this once, you are right, he will know that he doesn't have to do it next time either.
    If I had been in your place, even if mum hadn't happened to have been there, I would have, and indeed in the past I have, called a parent and let them know that the work was coming home, why it was coming home, and thank you for their support in helping me educate their child.
    Don't sweat it.