1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

feel picked on

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by pam30, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi can anyone help or share their experiences please

I have been in the same school now for 4 years and had a pretty good rep for my teaching and not being off sick. This last academic year has been in struggle. I was diagnosed with depression as I suffered from bad anxiety and panic attacks due to personal reasons, which then lead to having time off school. I went to my doctor who said i needed help of medication to help me and it did work. So.. i've had to have time off work, i've had a return to work meeting because my sick days off where high and i told work about the problem, i.e anxiety, panick attacks etc. I am also leaving this year as im moving to another town and now im feeling that members of my department are picking on my attendance levels. All the department do not know my situation, only smt and my HOD. Im hearing that people are talking about me, complaining that they are worried about my exam groups etc... because i've had days off. Im feeling really upset and angry at this. There are days I cant come in due to the side affects of my medication, severe migranes, dizziness. Its impossible to teach when I am like this. I dont want people to know about my medical circumstance as its none of their business but that doesnt make me any less of a teacher!!!! Im concerned about my reference now too, as I will be looking for work in my new town. Im just worried that after 3 good years here and a bad last year due to my health, I wont get the reference I deserve! Any advice on what i should/can do

regards
    Angry teacher

2. Hi can anyone help or share their experiences please

I have been in the same school now for 4 years and had a pretty good rep for my teaching and not being off sick. This last academic year has been in struggle. I was diagnosed with depression as I suffered from bad anxiety and panic attacks due to personal reasons, which then lead to having time off school. I went to my doctor who said i needed help of medication to help me and it did work. So.. i've had to have time off work, i've had a return to work meeting because my sick days off where high and i told work about the problem, i.e anxiety, panick attacks etc. I am also leaving this year as im moving to another town and now im feeling that members of my department are picking on my attendance levels. All the department do not know my situation, only smt and my HOD. Im hearing that people are talking about me, complaining that they are worried about my exam groups etc... because i've had days off. Im feeling really upset and angry at this. There are days I cant come in due to the side affects of my medication, severe migranes, dizziness. Its impossible to teach when I am like this. I dont want people to know about my medical circumstance as its none of their business but that doesnt make me any less of a teacher!!!! Im concerned about my reference now too, as I will be looking for work in my new town. Im just worried that after 3 good years here and a bad last year due to my health, I wont get the reference I deserve! Any advice on what i should/can do

regards
    Angry teacher

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Pam,
    Sorry you are feeling so down
    it's easy to become paranoid and guilty when you are a conscientious person but unless you have actually HEARD someone saying these things, please try to believe they are NOT. What would you do if you had a colleague who had your life for the last 4 years - I bet you'd be sympathetic and understanding wouldn't you?
    As to your ill health - that shouldn't affect your reference as legally employers are not allowed to use genuine ill-health as a judgement/assessment of your skills and working ability. Sounds like you've just had a really unlucky spell and your previous 3 years should be what counts.
    It is impossible to teach if you are unwell and you are right to have time off. I once had a lovely colleague who like you had spells of ill health, we were all sympathetic towards her and helped out with classes etc. Then someone spotted her out twice at funerals (of friends, not family), so one of us had a quiet word saying that it didn't look good. She "understood" what the other teacher was saying.
    Hope this has been of help?
    Joni xx