1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feel physically sick but so relieved.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chubbyone, Mar 14, 2016.

1. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Please please tell your children not to run out between parked cars. Could have been so different tonight. I was arriving home from work, slowed right down as car coming other way and I was 4 doors down from where I live. A teenage lad ran out between parked cars. Thankfully because I was I was going so slow my car 'kissed' him. He had run between parked cars as was running to call for his friend to go to youth club.He got straight up and no damage and the minibus that was parked to take them to the youth club soon emptied. I insisted as the youth workers that an ambulance was called and naturally the police came. He admitted he had ran out to the police and they were satisfied I was not at fault in any way. Presume that will be the end if it now? Just grateful that he was alright, just tell everyone to look and not run between parked cars. Not everyone drives as my my friends say I do 'like a snail'.

lexus300 likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A few years ago that happened at my school - a year 8 boy ran between two parked cars and was hit by a car coming in the opposite direction. He broke his ankle but it could have been so much worse.

Many years ago I was driving through one of the suburbs of Brum when a ball suddenly appeared between two parked cars followed by a small boy. I managed to stop in time thank god but I had nightmares about that for years.

3. chubbyone

The road I live on it notorious for people going up it fast as it is used instead of a road that has a speed camera on. By the time I get home it's parked cars either side so you have to have your wits about you.
    The police officer said to him he should be grateful that I was going so slow, and he should make sure he looks as could have been so different. When his mum arrived just before she was fuming with him as in her words 'not the first time and will not be the last and you are grounded'

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Its not uncommon in London for this to happen, along with the cyclist who sort of dodges around you.
    thankfully you are ok and so is the boy.
    I remember mowing down an adult with a motor bike when i was younger....he ran across a busy road intent to catch a bus and i couldnt stop i time even though i was doing 30 MPH. He didn't go to work that day, but to hospital..and I was very shocked and annoyed as the police seemed to think it was my fault.

5. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

What a shock for you. Thank goodness it was no worse. I'm sure you feel very shocked, but you must be reassured that you have not done anything wrong. Have a brandy and a good sleep. Things will seem better in the morning.

6. chubbyone

Thank you onmyknees. Think though now I will no doubt have a sleepless night worry that I am a criminal and public enemy number one! The police officer was lovely. Took my details and said she was happy as he admitted it was his fault, and she took my account and license details and when I asked if I need to do anything else she said 'go home and have a glass of wine'. Don't need to do anything else do I?

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

yes. get chocolate.

yodaami2 likes this.
  8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

What Emily said.

yodaami2 likes this.
  9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It is a truly scary thing to go through but seemingly no harm has been done except to your nerves.
    Wine and chocolate seem a very good idea

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Wine, chocolate and cake are certainly called for.

Trouble is, small children don't have a sense of danger and teenagers think they're invincible and immortal. A whole crowd of them ran across the road in fromt of me this afternoon. Difficult to see them because of traffic, but fortunately aware they were there and prepared for them to do something random.

Hope you get some sleep tonight @chubbyone.

11. zannar

zannar New commenter

I think children need to be told it will hurt. If you tell a child they will get hit by a car they do not know what the consequences could be.I always told my children it would hurt and they didn't like that idea.
    Please sleep well.All ended well and it was not your fault.

12. swintonion

swintonion New commenter

Yesterday I was driving to the train station, 4 teenagers -2 boys and 2girls were walking on the pavement facing my direction. One of the lads purposely and probably playfully nudged one of the girls who then fell into the other girl. She, duly fell off the kerb and onto the road on all fours.
    fortunately had I not been turning right and the left hand lane not been empty she'd have been squashed.
    Like the OP I too felt sick at what could have been a very nasty outcome.
    kids!
    PS
    You will feel better in the morning, I did.
    x

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I caused an accident when I was twelve by dashing across the road in front of an accelerating car. I ended up in hospital for for months with a fractured femur on traction. The driver certainly wasn't to blame.

I've reflected over the years on who actually was to blame. Whilst I accept that the decision to run across the road was mine and I have to ultimately take full responsibility for the event, it might be worthwhile giving some background into what prompted the madness of that moment, particularly as I'd been through a number of road safety education programmes at that point in my school career and I was generally conscious of the need to keep myself safe on the roads.

I'd had a history of being late for school, for which the underlying reason was the task I'd been given of accompanying my younger sister to school. She was a real sod to manage back then and grew worse the older she got. Our journey to school involved walking through the park, where she insisted in having a ride on the swings and roundabouts, then we reached the part of the park where the River Wandle ran through, she insisted on feeding the ducks with the sandwiches our mother had taken the trouble to prepare with love for her lunch.

Anyhow, my experience of getting her to school was that she was welcomed with cheery smiles by her teachers as they shuffled her into class, just in time for the register, and I was greeted with scowls and threats from the teachers at my school when I arrived five minutes after the register had been called.

I remember that at some point my tardiness in getting to school on time was addressed by the headmaster who called my parents in to discuss what was going on and in that meeting, my mother discovered that all the love she put into making her daughter's sandwiches was being enjoyed by the ducks, so she signed us up for school dinners instead.

She also made other arrangements to get my sister to school, which I was delighted by, as it freed me up to earn myself some pocket money by doing a paper round. I found a newsagent advertising for a paper boy and naively offered my services.

You wouldn't believe how happy I was to pass my first ever interview. Course I be at the shop at six o'clock the following morning. I even skipped doing my homework to make sure I would be there on time.

Talk about slave labour. I couldn't lift the bag of newspapers I was expected to deliver on my own, so the newsagent helped me put it on my bike. Three and a half hours later I arrived at school to another verbal beating up for being late.

Undaunted, I reckoned that having found out where the houses I would be delivering to were, I would be able to do the round quicker and impressed myself and possibly my frustrated teacher that I only arrived fifteen minutes late the following day.

I gained the impression he was actually grateful to be able to leave assembly to take me to task on that occasion, because his scowl had been replaced by a smile and fewer threats.

We agreed it wouldn't happen again, but neither of us had accounted for the fact that the next day was when the magazines came out and I found myself lugging a bike round that I could barely push, laden with magazine articles of the finest places to ski or sail, how to build ham radios and how best to give children the best chance in life.

Sweating like a pig as I carried out my duties on that fateful Friday morning and conscious of my teacher's wrath for arriving late yet again, which I already was by the time I made that fateful dash across the road to make the last three deliveries, I had the earliest lesson of my life about the dangers of pushing employees beyond what is reasonable to expect and practical to do.

So yes, I was responsible for taking that stupid decision to run in front of a car when I shouldn't have and but for the fact the driver was alert enough to brake as he did , I might not be around today for @Lascarina and my sweetheart to between themselves test my patience, but if we stand back from the scenario, what might we do, or indeed has been done to prevent similar stupid and irrational decisions being taken?

Have we managed to reduced stress and and unreasonable workloads, for example. Is it only children who are likely to make poor decisions when the chips are down?

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Neither did mine but the younger one got hit by a car nonetheless and was thrown up into the air and smashed the windscreen on his way down. He was 12 at the time. He lived to tell the tale but permanently damaged the balance receptor in his ear and had flashbacks for years afterwards. And the shock put years on me!

15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

This seems a very common phenomenon. Years ago we were on our way home (I was in the back) when a figure just appeared on the bonnet BANG and bounced onto the verge.

It was dark and cold and wet and miserable. We were going at no speed. There was a queue of traffic. 5mph? Really slowly. And there he lay. Motionless. We were so shocked. Other closer drivers went to him.

Turned out to be a paperboy. Hadn't wanted to use the crossing further down because the weather was so grim. Just wanted to get home after delivering his papers.

We feared the worst. Turns out he must have had a thick skull as he went home from hospital later that night.

Teenage lad. Says it all. I could have absolutely killed him myself - what he put us through!!!

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I don't think it does say it all. My son was crossing a busy road at the end of the school day. There should have been a crossing there but there wasn't. Clearly he wasn't paying enough attention, but had there been a crossing, (bearing in mind that 100s of youngsters from a huge comprehensive needed to get to the other side of a busy road) I suspect that his accident could have been avoided.

17. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I near-missed an eight year old who ran straight out in front of me during my motorcycle driving test.
    Had I not been on my test, had I not been as young and fast of reaction as I was back then or had I been driving a car it wouldn't have been a miss.
    It still comes back to haunt me every time I see these incidents reported.

The only good thing about it was that it counted as my emergency stop element of the test and I passed :)

18. grumpydogwoman

Around 5,000 children under the age of 16 die or are seriously injured on Britain’s roads each year ■ Nearly two in three road accidents happen when children are walking or playing ■ Almost two-thirds of child accident victims are boys ■ As a child gets older the risk of a road accident increases

Teenage boys. That NEARLY says it all. There should be far more pedestrian crossings.

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Particularly near schools.

20. grumpydogwoman

As near as possible to schools. Absolutely.

Just before I retired an enraged motorist came into the office to complain that one of mine (17 at the time) had darted out in front of her.

upload_2016-3-15_13-24-2.png