1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feel like quitting my PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by charlie_garrill51, May 14, 2019 at 9:05 PM.

1. charlie_garrill51

charlie_garrill51 New commenter

I’m currently in my final placement on PGCE but very ready to quit. I am currently staying at my placement until 12th July (university didn’t have a placement for me so I was delayed by seven weeks!) and then will immediately need to submit everything on 15th July.

The pressures and the workload make me feel overwhelmed. My anxiety is at an all time high, I barely sleep and come home every night crying. I just don’t feel like it’s all worth it and feel like I don’t want to even continue in the profession after this.

My biggest concerns are the financial implications - do I have to pay back my loans/bursary? Also, should I see out the last few weeks even though my mental health is at an all time low?

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Less than 8 weeks to go! Stick it out.
    Prepare as much as you can for submission now, so that you only have bits to do in the final week. We had a girl on our course who had prepared everything and submitted it whilst the rest of us were just thinking about it.
    I don't know where your placement is but, generally speaking, there is a lot of pressure at this time of the year: phonics tests/ KS2 SATs/ KS3 SATs/ GCSEs/ A levels/ Btec submission. This pressure should lift during June and there should be lots of fun activities. Life should get easier. And hopefully more fun.
    I think you will still have to pay for your student loan even if you drop out. However, this will only be when you are earning over 21k a year. It is not an immediate problem. Don't know about the bursary. Someone on here will know. Your PGCE will be a useful qualification to have even if you don't become a teacher. Your training course will always be a useful experience.
    Make a calendar and cross off the days. It's about 41 days. You can do it.
    Plan a nice treat for the end of July. A holiday or day out somewhere. Then take life as it comes.
    Good Luck

pepper5 likes this.
  3. lentils22

lentils22 New commenter

I totally agree with what Saluki has said; if you possibly can, it would be better to try and keep going to the finish line, which is very much in sight! You may not be sure that you want to stay in teaching at the moment, but having the qualification may be very beneficial to you in the future. For example, I don't know whether you currently have kids but if not, teaching can be a great option to combine with having a family because of the holidays and the flexibility to work locally and part-time. Or if you went down the tutoring route you could advertise that you have QTS. In any case a completed qualification will look much better on your CV.
    The workload is indeed overwhelming especially when you're also having to think about the PGCE work. Just try to "do the next thing" and focus on getting enough sleep and exercise to combat the stress. Half term is only 10 days away...
    All the very best for the next couple of months and for the future, whatever you decide. I'm sure everyone on here is rooting for you xx