1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feel like I am failing these kids

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by foggy98, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Crikey! What a lot of sad people out there!
    What you need is to get the balance right, to play with the children and scaffold their learning. There is the need for adult led focus activities and child initiated. Find out what your children want to learn about and plan accordingly to cover all the areas. This way you have their interests and a great basis to start from. Model the skills you need them to learn. Teach them the boundaries and what is right and wrong, you wreck the role play area - it's closed for a day. There's nothing wrong with working with groups, the other children can be free-flowing and accessing child initiated tasks. The assessment it 80:20 and the 80 will be based on them practising and embedding the learning you have taught them through the activities you have set out to help them achieve this.
    Sounds to me like you need to get the chance to go visit other settings or get a lead EYFS teacher in to boost your confidence in how you plan and organise your day. Remember to be cunning and plan for children to have the opportunities to achieve both inside and out with a range of objects. Clipboards to sign up for a turn on the scooter help with turn taking and are a great way to encourage those boys to learn to write their name. And remember, you are a professional and if you can justify to them why you do something in a particular way then they will understand.
    Don't know where you teach, but you're welcome to come along and visit how we do it and to chat through concerns and see whether we can ease your stress. Not saying we are the best, but we are a happy team and the children achieve well and we think we have the balance right between the EYFS demands and those of a school!
    Good luck!

2. AvaG wrote the line below in an earlier post and I am quoting it again in response to lottystar's comments.
    Those who may not agree with EYFS are not cognitively limited - they understand the concept of free flow play and learning journeys :

3. Welcome aboard lotty.
    I think that worrying thing about this thread is that practitoners who are writing on this thread are experienced and have a very good understanding of how children learn and the needs of their setting. They have a vareity of tools in their tool box but feel they are being disempowered by a curriculum which does not have the staffing infra structure to support it and it will certainly implode.
    It now seems to me that leading educators are recognising this but the LEA curriculum police are behind the times.
    EY Advisors in some areas are saying busy busy and all areas of learning available at all times and mess means learning is happening whilst another pedagogy is emerging which saying calm and tranquil.
    I agree with you lotty that we as teachers have to find a balance. However, what if that is not what your HT or LEA wants. He who pays the piper calls the tune and all that. Teachers have a career path to negotiate.
    Even the Independent sector is not free from LEA scrutiny if they take the EY grant.

4. whilst another pedagogy is emerging which is saying calm and tranquil- sorry I think that should have been re -emerging.
    It just confirms that pedagogy goes in cycles and we as educators need the skill to use what works in the unique context of our own settings. Also I think we need to think about ourselves and what works for us as unique teachers.
    That is why it is so important to understand the theory behind the bright ideas- rather than just take on the bright ideas themselves.

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We also have a story sack or oral storytelling session at least once a week. The kids love it and are more involved. They love to help tell the story. I often then leave any puppets and props out for the next day so they can retell the story themselves. They are usually fighting over them, especially my book averse boys.

6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Just another thought to throw into the pot. Is making the kids sit with their legs crossed really the most comfortable way to sit? I expect all my kids to try and cross legs and sit up straight like the rest of school. However I can still remember how unconfortable I found this at infant school and how I used to resent the teachers for making us sit like that. You cant listen well if you are uncomfortable. Maybe as our awareness of young children's needs increases, we may also start to look at their physical needs and developments.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No actually for many children this age the level of concentration/effort required to sit still with their legs crossed prevents them from fully engaging in the session. I have the research notes somewhere but have recently formatted my harddrive so not sure where...

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Are you actually a teacher in a school?

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Hedda is unfailingly polite. She is saying, ever so nicely, that disagreeing with the EYFS [or part of it] does not necessarily mean that one is lazy, grumbly or stupid.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Did you mean sad in its traditional sense or in its recent slang sense?
    If you meant the former, you were right.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Lotty, I notice from your other post on TES that you are responsible for [ey worker to?] eight children. Do you realise that there are FS2 teachers ON THEIR OWN with classes of thirty?

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

key worker to

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Fancy having to fork out for thirty children...

14. optimistic1

optimistic1 New commenter

I totally deserved the barrage of sarcasm and defensive responses. I shouldn't have vented issues and frustrations that were triggered, but unrelated to this forum, comments I would never dream of saying to anyone face to face that I should have never voiced in the internet world either. Consider it a lesson learnt. Apologies if I offended anyone. I needed to rant, but next time I will rant in a word document and save it secretly. Apologies again for being so incredibly and unforgivingly unprofessional.

(By the way paragraphs disappear when you rant on and on and on.... perhaps the TES remove them to provide ammunition for sarcastic come backs!?)

15. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

optomistic2
    having in many senses lost the plot, I am not bothering to scroll back, but always offer the counter view, it helps to promote passion and then progress can be made in discussions. I am guilty of such negativity sometimes that it is good to hear other views...[​IMG]

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

Optimist, I wish you luck. I don't know what else to wish you.

17. 6700 views of this thread - a chord has been struck!
    Optimist - thank you for your last post, and please continue contributing to the debate. I like it when people disagree with me because it challenges my perceptions, and I <u>love</u> a heated debate. Challenging our own preconceptions is really important, but it needs to be in an environment in which it's ok to express doubts, weaknesses and feelings of failure. The biggest organisational failings take place when people work within an environment in which it's never ok to express doubts - fear of witch hunts leads to shortcomings being concealed, and this is to the detriment of everyone.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

In an alternative universe?

19. Nope - on the 'Manage your hotlist' page it says this forum has had that many views. Does seem a lot though. Or did you mean something else?

20. So - what might those 'viewings' represent?
    Some form of unhealthy curiousity as to how some poor soul might have 'failed the kids'?
    Or has the title struck a chord with a lot of people who have been made to feel that they might have failed the kids?
    We could do with a title for the next academic year. I have already suggested that it ought to be the year for turning the tables on those on high with plenty of 'upwards evaluation' - we're all capable of having a professional view of those who are in authority over us.
    We could also do with it being 'The Year of Common Sense'.
    Make things simple ranging from your planning to your provision - and don't take work home with you that could not be done during your working day.
    Then it could be the 'Year of our Families' too.