1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feel like giving up

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Just had a terrible day. Got loads on at work an without saying too much in order to give away who I am, got observed and basically failed it. I know I can do better and usually do. The people observing me today know I usually do better and even said as much and couldn't understand why it all went wrong. They offered support, help whatever I needed, But I just feel rubbish. My last lesson obs was only a 3 and I feel like my lessons are getting worse and worse. Maybe because I have so much to do outside the classroom. I'm just not sure. All I know is I feel useless and like I should be doing better and people, although they realise this isn't the usual me, will only put up with so much and will think I'm rubbish. I also am dreading going in and getting a telling off from the head. I feel like changing professions entirely... I'm clearly not cut out for this one.

2. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

A 4 at the end of the summer term is not the end of the world, it has been a long year and we are not at our best at this time of year.

3. bnm

bnm

OK. Bad day. Take a breath. Eat chocolate/drink wine etc for immediate relief.
    Tomorrow (or next week at least) you will be able to put your rational head on and deal with this.
    You know today was just an off day. The people observing you know today was just an off day. Horrible, but it happens.
    When you are thinking straight you maybe could consider all the stuff you do outside the classroom and if you can cut back on that to allow yourself to give time and energy and enthusiasm to resurrect the real you.
    All the best.

4. I haven't had a 4 since I was training. And even then I only had one of them. I'm meant to be in charge of a department and yet by far got the worst grade in my department.

5. bnm

bnm

That's because you are busy, over-worked and stressed. It is not because you are a bad teacher. Everyone is allowed a little bit of a disaster every now and again. You're human. It's OK.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Some people never perform well when being observed.
    Don't give up. Ask them to come along when they are not expected and you will be at your best.
    no one can teach well with this kind of thing going on eh?
    Chin up. Have a nice evening. It's only a job, no matter what pressures they put us under, you could do any other kind of work and do well -
    xxxxx

7. Thanks all. Just angry at myself. feel like I've gone from 'consistently good teacher, potential to be AHT soon' to 'sh*t' in about 6 months. I hate being rubbish. My motto is if I'm no good at it, no point doing it.

8. becky70

becky70 New commenter

It was one bad lesson, one bad day. I'll assume you won't be observed again until next academic year and by then you'll be far better. PM me if you want as I've survived rather worse than this!

9. They said they will come and see me again 'to support me'. They suggested next week. Next week is our school show week. One nightmare after another.

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You lot make me feel so rubbish.

I've never had a good observation in my life.