1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

feel guilty having my second day off this academic year...Why????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by xmaspud, Feb 8, 2011.

1. I always feel so bad when im off. Is that a lot of time? Had one day off last term and one this term. :(

Class always gets split and it seems like chaos.

2. I always feel so bad when im off. Is that a lot of time? Had one day off last term and one this term. :(

Class always gets split and it seems like chaos.

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

The guilt goes with the job.
    When someone in an office job is off sick the work sits on their desk till they get back. With us teachers the 'work' is 30 kids!
    However, they will be fine without you - they might even enjoy the different routine now and again and they will be all the happier to see you when you get back. No harm done!
    Relax and get better!

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

And no, it's not a lot of time!

5. It's all relative I suppose. There are those with weak work ethic in all fields-teachers included. I know teachers that take a day off a week due to various 'illness'.
    That IS a massive strain on a school/class.

In a job where you're on the frontline facing every ailment know to man every day-it's a pretty good bet that you'll be ill now and again.

My longest stretch of health was 7 years without a sick day (plenty of colds etc in the holidays mind!). There was certainly luck in that.

6. no its no. i've not been back since christmas yet.
    although i got over the inital guilt its coming back again now as i am well enough to plan and can't find the motivation.

7. Oh my goodness! Are you off long-term sick? I think the OP was talking about a sick day here or there, not a stretch of 4-5 weeks. that's an entirely different matter. How are they covering your class?

8. i'm being covered by a mixture of the head teacher, another teacher and severel nursery staff that are avaliable (i'm a nursery nurse)
    this is why i'm trying to do some planning (climbing the walls)

9. Ahh, I see! Get well soon! :)