1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feel as if I am going round in circles -again..

Discussion in 'Primary' started by zannar, Mar 19, 2012.

1. zannar

zannar New commenter

I need to have focus groups but the childen don't like them. In order to do this some groups have little input from me and have independent tasks to practise skills learned. If they are doing this they are not moving forward and making progress. In order to seem to be making progress they have to be interrupted, often mid-flow, or I have to give them more input during the lesson. This I cannot do during the time I am with my focus group. No win situation.

My class enjoy whole class teaching with me pottering around supporting as and when necessary. They know that sometimes I have to work for a little bit longer with one group and understand it is to focus on a certain point. This allows me to support them well because I can check S has used capital letters, H is on task, J is using the planning etc etc.

I use my time teaching in different ways, at different times, for different lessons based on my knowledge of the children and their needs. How can this be wrong?
    I am fed up with teaching for Ofsted. I teach for the children.

This sounds simplistic but is only meant as a brief outline.
    Sorry, neede a rant today.[​IMG]

2. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I'm struggling with the focus groups too! Had an observation last week and was told that I needed to have a focus group and extend their learning in some way. I normally set the groups differentiated tasks and aim to float around ensuring all chn on task, sometimes etended chn as I go long. But told to stay with one group most of the time, this would mean other groups off task etc.

3. zannar

zannar New commenter

Glad I am not alone.
    When will the powers that be accept that not all children,classes, teachers and schools fit into a one size fits all buy off the peg ideal?

4. Me too!
    Just can't get the focus group thing to work. It's ok of course when I have a TA in, ah yes remind me - that's one morning a fortnight!! I've returned to try it on several occassions through the year as it seems to be what I am meant to be doing, but it's clearly not for me. So, sorry children if my teaching style is 'wrong' but glad you're all making progress anyway!

5. zannar

zannar New commenter

And this is the most important issue. [​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We need to swap schools! I have focus groups in most lessons but this is apparently wrong in my school. Cannot imagine how on earth the class make progress...

7. I struggle with this as well in Y2. I much prefer going from table to table offering reminders and support as children go along, and being that 'presence' to stop them being lazy! If I sit and work with one group, I spend most of that time nagging the other groups to be quieter or sorting out a queue of children. Also, if that group just so happen to be getting on very well - then my attention might be needed elsewhere and that may be different children on different tables.
    I much prefer circulating the room supporting where necessary.

8. Our school policy - written (and strongly enforced) by the headteacher.