1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feel a little lonely in placement...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by greasychipbuttie, Oct 27, 2019.

1. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

I’m a male (slightly older!) and I’m on a solo placement in a primary school in Yorkshire.

Everyone seems friendly enough, but I just feel a little isolated, I’m the only male in the whole school. About 30 women, teachers rarely use the staff room - stay in classrooms so it’s just me with support staff which just leaves me feeling on the edge of the “social circle” and often just sit in silence.

im not the most confident but just wish i had someone to sound off too! I’ve got a bulk placement starting tomw at the school and I’m feel very anxious as before it was a couple of days in school then uni!

Any advice? Tips to help my moods and feeling on my own?
    Thanks

2. Tinyreader

Tinyreader New commenter

How was the first week of your bulk placement? I’m sorry that you are feeling this way at school and having no one reply to your message about feeling isolated can not help!

I imagine that when your teaching load increases, you will find it easier to start conversations with others.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

[QUOTE="greasychipbuttie, post: 12950720, member:

Everyone seems friendly enough, but I just feel a little isolated, I’m the only male in the whole school. About 30 women, teachers rarely use the staff room - stay in classrooms so it’s just me with support staff which just leaves me feeling on the edge of the “social circle” and often just sit in silence.
    [/QUOTE]

I know how hard it can be sometimes in primary schools. What's your mentor like at the school? Could you Suraj to them at lunch?