1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

feeding to sleep

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by starcommand, Feb 25, 2011.

1. My LO is 3 months and at the moment will only sleep with a breast feed even if its only 2 mins of feed. She used to put herself back to sleep if she woke up but now she wont. This is a daytime nap issue, not as much of an issue in the evening. She won't have a dummy.
    Any ideas?

2. My LO is 3 months and at the moment will only sleep with a breast feed even if its only 2 mins of feed. She used to put herself back to sleep if she woke up but now she wont. This is a daytime nap issue, not as much of an issue in the evening. She won't have a dummy.
    Any ideas?

3. music? although my little man is the same
    x

4. Ditto. Anyone got any answers?!! [​IMG]

5. Baby is using the feed as a cue for sleep so you want to replace that cue. I used to feed mine to sleep to the same piece of music and then the music became the cue and I could put him down to sleep with the "sleepy music" and he would go off.
    The friend who gave me the tip took 3 days to make the link. Can't remember how long it took with us but was a few days. You can make anything a cue - same toy worked for my second. We used to give him his cuddly elephant and off he'd go. Music does seem to be a popular one though.

6. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Mine is 4 weeks and we find it very hard to get her to sleep. She can be solid for a while (10 min or longer) then apparently wake herself up and be hard to settle. Recently this has got worse, especially at night and despite her obviously being really tired. Any suggestions? :-s

7. At around 4 weeks we bought a sleep positioner with heartbeat- when she made a noise this little thing would start to beat and she would settle. The mattress was rubbish- we took the heartbeat out and binned the matress and the heartbeat went in the bottom of the moses basket. It worked so well for her- might not work for yours, but anything is worth a try!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/summer-supreme-inclined-sleep-positioner-heartbeat-/180634720008?pt=UK_Baby_NurseryBedding_RL&hash=item2a0eab1708#ht_804wt_932

People have also had success with slumber bears (look on amazon/ebay)

8. We are still doing this (feeding to sleep) at 6 months, even for naps, and are really struggling to break the cycle.
    We have tried the music association thing, I've been feeding her to the same piece of music for months but it still won't work as a trigger in itself.
    She started sucking her thumb and was using that but she is now waking really frequently and can't seem to find her thumb any more. She spits out a dummy and tonight even took it out of her mouth and threw it out of her cot!
    I have no idea what to do either. Sorry, no help! I'll be interested to read what others have to say.....

9. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

OH put her down tonight at half 7 after she'd been fed- he cuddled her to some pretty urban music and it's on now in our room- this is the longest she has slept in her crib, and the latest too. It's certainly not lullabies and she prefers it loud!- could be an association from pregnancy? or she likes the beat and the vibration? (It's not on so loud it'd damage her ears, mind- just loud enough that you would go, "Really? A baby's sleeping in there!?")

10. Ha ha this made me laugh.... When my LO was very tiny we used sounds to get him to sleep (not any hardcore rap though!). The favourite was the electric toothbrush. We'd put it on outside his room and it worked a treat. It's called 'white noise' and a friend of mine used an actual CD just full of this weird 'white noise' to get her LO to sleep in the early days. I guess you can buy them on Amazon or such places. Now I'm no expert but I do have a baby who is (now) a great sleeper and we spent a lot of time trying to get him to 'self-soothe' early on. (He was breastfed til 9 months BTW & I did at one point feed him to sleep but only at bedtime & we stopped it at about 4 months). Things that worked for us were always following the E.A.S.Y. method by Tracy Hogg in her book The Baby Whisperer, where you do Eat, Activity, Sleep, so baby is eating then awake for a while before going to sleep.(I REALLY did not want to create the boob/sleep association - even early on). A swaddle blanket worked in the period where LO would fall asleep then wake himself up with arms and legs flailing. We did some rocking and shhhh-ing in his crib which helped. We used a dummy for a while (but only to the point where he was 'almost' asleep then took it away). Another thing that has been & still is fail-safe is a small comfort blanket. Oh and I'd highly recommend putting LO in own room with black-out blinds. I hope this helps. P.S. to stop feeding off to sleep can be done. It took 3 nights for us to crack it... babies forget very quickly :)

11. baileyblade

baileyblade New commenter

My little girl used to be exactly the same. I remember having to sit with her in my arms while she napped in the early days. I sent myself crazy convincing myself that I was somehow going to make it difficult for her to get herself to sleep when she was older but no other method of getting herself to sleep worked. However, when she was around 9 months old she started refusing her night time feed so we put her in her cot awake with her favourite cuddly toy and she got herself straight to sleep and has been sleeping 7pm-6.30am ever since (she's now 18 months old). So if you do find it too much of a struggle, don't make yourself feel guilty or feel under pressure. Just do what feels right for you and you little one.