1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeding back on the forums

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gailrobinson, Sep 22, 2008.

1. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Just remembered: could we please, please, please, please, please, please have a sticky thread or permanent link to tafkam's TES (!!!!!) FAQ site. There's plenty of room next to the Inbox/Friends/Hotlist/Favourites/Jobs/Profile buttons, 4 of which I have never used.

2. I'll go and do the survey now, assuming it's still active.

One of the things I used to love was that my hotlist told me whether there had been any new posts since I last posted. Now I have to try and memorise how many posts there are so I'll know whether there are new ones.

Also, it doesn't remember that I want to view the latest post first, it always reverts to the oldest.

Very annoying!! have used this site very rarely since it changed. [​IMG]

3. Until the new batch of changes are implemented, I hope these tips help.

With a forum open where you see a list of topics, go to the bottom ? you can do this quickly by hitting the ?END? key

Click ?More options?

Here you can make temporary or permanent choices such as:-

Sort - sorting the order ascending or descending
    Date filter ? new since last visit (for example)
    Topic ? hide topics I?ve read
    Send Email ? receive an email when either new posts or topics are posted

You can also move up and down quickly using the page up and page down keys instead of the arrows.

You can jump to a forum quickly using the jump to forum option at the top of each forum in addition to the list on the right side of the screen.

4. Hello all,
    We've had over 200 replies so far to our survey. Here's a summary of what you guys are telling us.

You want the navigation and functionality that you had on the old site and this includes

1) A Hotlist function that
    a) Allows you to add new topics
    b) Allows you to to see when a topic has new traffic since the last time you viewed the thread
    c) Links you straight to the posts you haven't seen

2) Navigation structure that:
    a) Let's you go straight from any part of the forums direct to another
    b) Remembers where you were looking on a thread and re-directs you to that post, not to the start of the thread
    c) Makes it easy to find your way to a specific thread and see who started it and when

You also asked for...

1) A simpler design with less white space but also less clutter
    2) Faster performance
    3) Reliable functionality - many of you experienced inconsistencies

Best wishes
    Gail

5. You're pretty much describing the old site there.

6. shelleymccuk

shelleymccuk New commenter

I would just like to thank the TES staff for sorting out my login problems!!! [​IMG]

7. redx11

redx11 New commenter

Just sort out the speed. It is so slow. When you change forums it takes forever before you can scroll down.

Bring back the old site I hate this one.

8. Me too ....

9. myrtle

myrtle Occasional commenter

Me too......I have had so much help and discovered much from using this site over the last 2 years, I rarely look now...

Would it be possible to have the old forums site back via a link from the new TES site?

10. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

I think the numbers of people posting says it all really. I should think that there are only half the number that there used to be.

Everything is sooooooooo slow. It takes ages for a page to load so you can actually read the thread. If you only have a few minutes it just isn't worth it anymore.

Can't you get rid of whatever it is that you've added that slows everything down so much. We don't need pretty avatars or smileys, honest![​IMG]

11. agreed!

12. babyjeebus

babyjeebus New commenter

My biggest gripe with the site is that it doesn't snap back to where you were like the old site did.

When I read a thread and hit back, it takes me back to the top of the page and i'm forever scrolling down.

13. I can't stand the colour, the size of font and the annoying spaces between posts.

14. What annoys me is that so many changes were made for no obvious reason and without any decent consultation so that when it went live (and even that after all the advertising went a day early!) there were so many issues. To start with i thought TES were working with posters to try to improve things (and i know you cant please all people all the time) there are some obvious things most posters seem to be talking about. However since weve come back to school i seems to have really slowed down and of course posters are leaving and finding other forums to use which is very sad but inevitable if TES dont make some quicker responses. What is happening TES?

15. It seems so many people are giving up on the site which provided so much valuable advice, support and ideas - I am so sad that TES do not seem to be able to turn it around (or back). Has anyone said anything positive about the new site? I apreciate that there is the extensive questionaire but if there is no evidence of an improvement it is not surprising that people are leaving in droves! Wish I knew where everyone was I am really missing the banter!

16. Exactly. The slowness and horrible navigation are the worst 'features'. Where has everyone gone? Can I come too? Or is everyone just doing more work? Or having a real life?

17. Hello all,
    Our current priority is working to sort out the performance issues right across the site. We have made various changes during the last week and we have a batch of changes to implement over the next week. We hope that this will speed up the forums substantially.
    Best wishes
    Gail

18. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

I hope that you can improve things. It would be such a shame for this site to stop being the marvellous resource that it has always been.

19. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Obviously something was happening yesterday as I got a blank page and error messages trying to get onto Primary and was completely unable to log on in MarketPlace - I didn't exist.

This site is still like wading around in deep sticky mud. It is still so unbelievably sloooooooow.

20. Hi all,
    Just wanted to explain what happened on the site last night. We had a problem with our registration database at about 7pm. This meant that users were unable to log on. We have now sorted out this problem and our technical team have put in place a couple of fixes that should make sure this doesn't happen again.
    We're sorry for the incovenience this caused.
    All the best
    Gail