1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feedback to pupils on Controlled Assessments

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Petite Joueuse, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Quick question:
    Do you "mark" controlled writing assessments, and do you give pupils their marks? (Do you give them a grade - "That was a B grade piece of writing" - or do you give them the breakdown of marks for content, accuracy etc etc.?)
    Or, do you treat their assessments as "live" exam materials and give them no feedback at all?

merci
    PJ

2. Quick question:
    Do you "mark" controlled writing assessments, and do you give pupils their marks? (Do you give them a grade - "That was a B grade piece of writing" - or do you give them the breakdown of marks for content, accuracy etc etc.?)
    Or, do you treat their assessments as "live" exam materials and give them no feedback at all?

merci
    PJ

3. I give feedback for writing and speaking assessments with different breakdown marks and how to improve in their next piece as we do 3 of each but only submit the 2 best ones in each skills.

4. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

We double mark them with a colleague and tell the students what we think it was worth - making sure that they know it is only an estimate and that real marks can go up as well as down. If you don't "mark" them, how can you give them a mock grade or a predicted grade?

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Same as Baz, I give them a grade, breakdown of what I gave for each area, then if I have time write down individual examples of errors (mailmerged in excel - I usually do one for speaking assessments at least) or if I don't I ask pupils to see me if they don't understand their grade so I can go through their writing with them, commenting orally on their mistakes etc. I don't give them a copy of their script, obviously!

6. According to AQA:
    "The teacher can return a copy of the completed task to the student. However, there must be no corrections on it. Any feedback must be general, not specific. It must be oral, not written. It must be in English and must relate to the assessment criteria eg ‘make sure you express at least 2 opinions’; ‘vary your structures and vocabulary more’; ‘check your tense formations’."
    I interpret this to mean that you can tell pupils what mark you would give, including a breakdown by area, but you can't go through and point out exactly what they got wrong.

7. I give a breakdown of the marks I would give, but stress they are not moderated marks. I then give general feedback - present tense incorrect, for example.
    As I use a tick list to see what pupils have included and share this with them

8. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

I put them both, yes, both, in a box until the HOD sends them away.