1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feedback Question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by winni1, Nov 20, 2019.

1. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Can anyone clarify lesson observation feedback for me please? I currently share-lead a core subject in a very large Primary. The past few weeks we've been out together and doing lesson observations. Following the lesson we have both been there to give verbal feedback. After this, one of us has typed up the written feedback. On two occasions my colleague has been called away during the verbal bit and I have given it. Both times, I have spoken about what we saw and what we think will be helpful moving forward. So far so good.

BUT, one member of staff got the wrong end of the stick and was touchy about something which I said my absent colleague had noticed (not a major thing either just a question based on coverage from my partner who isn't based in that Key Stage). This wasn't voiced at the time but was mentioned in a general chat to a member of the SLT. The Head called me in today to say I breached confidentiality by talking about what my absent colleague had flagged. But have I? surely if we are a team and are going feedback on a joint observation I should be able to talk about what we both noticed?

Or am I wrong? The teacher in question is no longer touchy, I checked in and it was a wrong end of the stick moment fuelled by tiredness but I have had a right telling about it. I plan to seek clarification from the SLT tomorrow about it but any thoughts, either way, would be appreciated.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I doubt if there are any rules about it, but it does seem a bit OTT to worry about it. If you are giving verbal feedback on behalf of both of you, then I think that you should include everything unless your colleague told you not to mention something. I would say that you should give feedback from the "we" point of view, rather than saying who thought what, but that is just my personal view.

There has been a lot of debate about what should be said after observations, and it is wise to try to avoid appearing in this thread. https://community.tes.com/threads/ridiculous-comments-given-at-lesson-observations.732295/