1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feedback on our new website!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by gavcradd, Dec 5, 2011.

1. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Well...erm...I'm not sure what to say really. My grandmother always said that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
    Has it been done using Frontpage by any chance? The pixellated rollovers give it away. I have to be honest, it looks a little dated, like something I'd have expected from a Geocities site back in the late 90s. Design has always been my weak point, do you have an art teacher who could look over it for you?
    I'll try and think of some constructive points and come back. Perhaps changing the font size to something other than massive comic sans would be a start. And whatever is supposed to be at the bottom of the Year 5 page doesn't work, it gives a "URL not found" error.
    Have you tried a CMS like Joomla?

2. If this is your first go at making a website then well done. It does the job and has lots of interesting bits. Personally, I'd prefer a much more consistent layout from page to page and I'd think carefully about the width - websites should be at least 1000pixels wide these days with all the wide screens and do you need a column either side of the main content area? Also, the colours are too brash?
    Your efforts are to be encouraged so I'd echo the above comment re Joomla. It may look hard to start with but print off the getting started installation guide, join and use the forum, check out the site showcase sub-forum to get ideas and you will be up and running in no time. It will take your website skills to the next level.
    http://www.joomla.org/

3. Everyone who doesn't support Norwich City will hate it :) Seriously, not sure about yellow and green,might be better with one less bright colour.
    You seem to have disabled the right click - not nice.
    Scrolling tickers are a bit passe these days.
    The Latest News isn't.
    Other than that, a decent effort.

4. Couldn't open in IE9. May be my install, but worth checking.
    sch

5. Hi
    Having read some of the comments above, I wondered quite what I'd find when I went to your website - but I was very pleasantly surprised! Well done - I think you have done a great job! There are definitely a fair number of school websites which could do with looking at yours for some inspiration ....
    I particularly liked the inclusion of the Calculations policy, showing methods for maths across KS1 and 2, and the photos of the staff (amusing line drawings of staff done by Y2 may be cute but are not a reliable way of identifying your child's teacher if you want to know who to look out for on Parents Evening).
    You may want to do a little audit of the content of the site, using my evaluation sheet, but only to tick off all the positive aspects of the website, and double check for any important omissions. (https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/School-website-audit-tool-6147915/)
    Follow other people's suggestions if you want to carry on tweaking, but feel proud of what you have achieved too.

6. Thanks for all the feedback. Contrary to some of the comments about it being dated in design,compared to the terrible VLE we previously had it's a marked improvement.The ticker thing was a recommendation from parent feedback because they wanted to be up to date without searching everywhere.It goes well with our twitter feed.The main benefits of moonfruit are it's accessibility to staff to share the workload that inevitability comes with managing a site.Considering I have no official ICT background and this isn't really in my subject leader job spec, it was the best site for all staff to use.Using a VLE got so much negativity you wouldn't believe! The one we were using did the opposite of what it was asked to do and required a lot of HTML knowledge.

I take on board the colour thing..haha..unfortunately green and yellow are our school colours,the alternatives were really dull!

Thank you clerktogovernors for the kind words. We also filmed videos to go alongside the calc strategy written doc to show the methods.

I'll have a look at that evaluation sheet.looks very useful!