1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feedback in lesson time

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chociceg, Jan 12, 2012.

1. chociceg

chociceg New commenter

In my previous lesson observations, the main thing that has prevented me from getting an outstanding is feedback during the lesson. I endeavour to do this but it is so hard to do this with a class of 32! Here are the things I have in place and do to address this:

Ongoing questioning etc
    Mini-plenaries
    TA works and gives instant feedback to group and so does LSA
    I work with a group who either didn't get something yesterday or the ones who have remained behind as they aren't too sure yet what I've just taught.

After I've set that group off to task, I then go round and prioritise children being independent but I know can sometimes get the wrong end of the stick!

Despite my best efforts in every lesson since the last observation, there is always someone who sneaks through, gives off the impression that they know what they're doing and I've missed them! We get to the end of the lesson which is too late!

For an outstanding, ALL children have to be making exceptional progress in that lesson. I don't want to be making excuses about the class size and the practicalities, but do colleagues have any great ideas how to stop the one or two getting through and past me??
    Thanks in advance.

2. chociceg

chociceg New commenter

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

4. Lara mfl 05

5. chociceg

chociceg New commenter

Thanks for that. The threads show what people think of outstanding, but I'm thinking of a specific problem here on knowing that all children have made exceptional progress. Today it happened again, I used peer assessment (as we have been working on it) where the ones in the middle who got it, buddied up with those who still need more practice. The more able had halfway feedback from me and were extended, the less able were taken care of by the support staff, yet one child this time 'snuck through' and sat there. He declared right at the end that he thought he understood. Due to all these things going on the mini-plenary, I was able to give him verbal feedback and move him on. NOW have all children made progress in this lesson?? (you just can't seem to win!)

6. Lara mfl 05

There was a thread on this recently-just not sure which forum. You could try a search children making exceptional progress in lesson?

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Is it really that important to you to be outstanding? You'd have a nervous breakdown trying to ensure all children make exeptional progress in every lesson. There will ALWAYS be those who slip through the net, but you get them next time,
    Isn't it good enough to be 'good'?

8. chociceg

chociceg New commenter

Well I only strive to improve. What with Gove having it in for us all what with pensions, holidays and speeding up capability procedures, will the time come when good is not good enough??

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

well if that's ever the case, then I'm after another job. The hassle and stress isn't worth it.