1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feedback from staff

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rachymac, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm on placement at the moment in a secondary school, and have been teaching classes for the past two weeks, covering classes belonging to 4 different teachers. Since I've only started teaching about a week ago, I'm not expecting to be great, and am really keen to learn. However, every single lesson I've had so far, the teacher supervising (all of them) have responded that the lesson was "fine" and there was no advice they could give me. This includes a lesson where I completely forgot my learning intentions halfway through and so hadn't met them by the end, and a class where the class teacher had tos tep in and remove a pupil for being disruptive, with the result the rest of the class started playing up and I completely lost them for about 10 minutes.
    It's not that I want them to be really harsh and tell me every little thing that I'm doing wrong, but I want to know my mistakes and learn from them. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

As Professional Mentor, I would actually expect you to raise it with me first.
    I agree that it's not satisfactory, and I would want to raise it myself with the member of staff - especially as this is the school's end of the partnership. If the PM does nothing, then that's when I would take it higher.

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I agree that that's not good enough but I disagree with this:
    I am the Professional Mentor in my school, and it's my job to run this end of the partnership. If there's a problem with the subject mentor/teacher, it should really come to me first. If that doesn't resolve it, then take it to the Uni.