1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feedback/ Advice Interview Strathclyde PGDE

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by s_ran17, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hi folks,

So I was unsuccessful at strathclyde interviews for English PGDE and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to obtain feedback about where I went wrong? (aside from email harassment which I am already doing and considering escalating to phone bothering!)[​IMG]
    Secondly, because I have a degree but not in English and the new criteria that have been brought in in Scotland (that no-one can explain to me clearly!) I can't make-up my english course credits to the level required which basically means I'm looking at having to do another three years of part-time study to get an english degree before I can even apply to do teaching again,[​IMG] can anyone offer me any advice about what I should do?
    Thanks.

2. Hi folks,

So I was unsuccessful at strathclyde interviews for English PGDE and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to obtain feedback about where I went wrong? (aside from email harassment which I am already doing and considering escalating to phone bothering!)[​IMG]
    Secondly, because I have a degree but not in English and the new criteria that have been brought in in Scotland (that no-one can explain to me clearly!) I can't make-up my english course credits to the level required which basically means I'm looking at having to do another three years of part-time study to get an english degree before I can even apply to do teaching again,[​IMG] can anyone offer me any advice about what I should do?
    Thanks.

3. Have these new criteria just been brought in this year, meaning you aren't able to re-apply until you have a straight English degree? Thats a real shame, sorry to hear you didnt get in this year, and are going to have a hassle for re-applying :eek:(

I cant think of any other way of obtaining feedback other than emailing. I personally wouldnt like to phone, but then I hate speaking on the phone! Our letter for Primary said they wouldnt provide feedback if we were unsuccessful, so have a look at your interview letter to see if it states if / how feedback could be obtained.
    Good luck!

4. As far as I am aware, English PGDE at Strathclyde is one of the very, very few departments which will give you feedback if you ask for it. Given the huge time commitment involved, that might not be offered next session, through. This will only be done by telephone, usually with the member of staff who interviewed you but not always. Remember that they have 65+ students to visit at the moment, and so you may have to wait a while. E-mail the recruitment coordinator in English requesting feedback and he will pass it on to the relevant member of staff.

5. From what I've been told they have only been brought in this year and basically stipulate that you cannot take anymore than 20 additional credits to add to your existing credits when applying for pgde, which have to be 80 credits in the subject you want to teach, 40 of which must be level 2 or above. So think most people will be ok when applying for english it's just that I only had first year english and have taken 40 credits this year at level 2 to enable me to apply, but which now has meant I am ineligible! (hope this makes some sort of sense![​IMG])
    Ive emailed the head of the interviewing panel as I really hate speaking on the phone too, especially when I'm probably bothering him at his busiest time of year so will just have to be patient! Got one more choice to hear from (aberdeen) but from what I've heard, strathclyde were the only ones who were resisting these new criteria so not looking forward to hearing from GTTR!

6. Forgot to say that the universities have not mentioned this change in criteria on their websites or in the information for applicants.