1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feed the birds

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nicholaj69, Nov 29, 2011.

1. My headteacher has thrown an observation at us next week ( day before the nativity!!! ) and wants to see something diff! Not cll focus or psrn! As we are going to the forest this week i was thinking about making bird feeders with the pine cones we collect. Any ideas what i could do in other areas. Its too close to christmas and my head is swamped with play!
    NJ

2. My headteacher has thrown an observation at us next week ( day before the nativity!!! ) and wants to see something diff! Not cll focus or psrn! As we are going to the forest this week i was thinking about making bird feeders with the pine cones we collect. Any ideas what i could do in other areas. Its too close to christmas and my head is swamped with play!
    NJ

3. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

http://www.national-awareness-days.com/tree-dressing-day.html
    Why not link your bird feeders to Tree Dressing Day ? You could make decorations for a tree in your school grounds ...you could use re-cycled materials (junk from home) to make decorations,think about weather proof materials,plastics,wool,tinsel etc For our village tree I make giant snowflakes out of the polystyrene pizza bases,stars out of tin foil containers (watch they dont cut themselves,but a pencil poked in tinfoil can create a lovely pattern,plastic drinking bottles with dribbles of glue inside and glitter?)
    It could be a real fun day enjoy!

4. Ah so thats the reason for a poor tree covered in junk! Couldn't you dress trees in somethings that will fade/disintegrate or biodegrade..or even better feed the birds?

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Feeding birds is a responsibility, since the birds will return daily in the expectation of food. Don't do it unless you can do it every day.

6. It's a good point though that you need to feed (and water) the birds regularly but what happens at weekends and during the holidays?
    I was thinking about having bird feederes until I started to read this post.

7. Birds are well used to the idea that food sources are intermittent. They have a range of different sites that they visit each day and if they are in luck and there is food there they eat, if not they go onto the next stop.

8. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Why would a nut allergy stop one from making bird cake?

And to the OP have you looked at the nature detectives website? Loads of stuff there!!

9. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

The whole school knows about this child and her nut allergy eg asked that there are no peanut butter sandwiches at lunch etc The child has had a serious attack at home and each time you have an attack they are worse! We still have to vet everything even though the parents have been told because some of our parents are lazy .

10. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I also find that if you help the children in the class understand, they will make sure they don't bring birthday sweets with nuts etc. We don't ban nuts in my school, only from the class that child is in.

11. check out woodlandtrust. http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/learning-kids/Pages/children.aspx I use them alot and have made /used so many o f theres ..we make bird feeders from fruit juice containers with a square cut out at the front and a stick for them to perch on or alternatively milk bottle cartons in same fashion[eco friendly and recyclable...] how old are the children in your class? ice investigation? freeze water in different shaped containers with various natural items [found in the forest maybe ?] i scent the ice with essential oils too...either hang them outside as an outside resource or use them in the builders tray and add salt and water pipettes...adding water to an ice block acts as glue and you build blocks of ice or salt will melt it..it can also be coloured?

also check out www.notsocute..fantastic creative site with fantastic ideas http://notjustcute.com/2008/08/09/sensory-science/