1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feed a Family for £50 a week....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Sainsbury's have had to cancel their 'Feed your Family for £50' adverts.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2124811/Sainsburys-feed-family-50-adverts-banned.html

The portion sizes were questioned (too small to feed 4 adults....too much to feed one adult and 3 toddlers!) - and nowhere near enough calories.
    The diet was unsuited to the under 4s.
    And the £50 did not include 'storcupboard' ingredients....garlic, herbs, spices, oil, flour, stock (presumably from a cube/tub?....fresh stock isn't in my cupboard!), ketchup, mustard, tomato puree....
    Also, extra fruit and veg was needed to bulk out meals and provide '5 a day'.
    Too much relaince given on 'bready' meals....toast and jam for breakfast 3 times a week...sandwiches for lunch....

Now, I don;t know about you, but I'm sure we could get together on Cookery and do healthy meals for a family of 4 at £50 a week!
    How much would Sainsbury's pay us to use the 'TES Cookery Forum' approved mark?

I think my 3 meal offering would be....
    Breakfast:
    Porridge (Made from oats not Reddy Brek) with dried fruit added.
    Banana
    Tea

Lunch:
    Home made Veg and Lentil Soup (in a thermos for a packed lunch)
    Granary Roll
    Home made joghurt and fruit

Dinner
    Home made Fishcakes
    Mashed Root Veggies
    Baked Beans
    Fruit Crumble. (Homemade)

I haven't costed it - but it should fall into the required price bracket....a bit of foerthought needed to make the soup the day before I suppose.....and I think it's food most not-too-picky people will eat!

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Sainsbury's have had to cancel their 'Feed your Family for £50' adverts.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2124811/Sainsburys-feed-family-50-adverts-banned.html

The portion sizes were questioned (too small to feed 4 adults....too much to feed one adult and 3 toddlers!) - and nowhere near enough calories.
    The diet was unsuited to the under 4s.
    And the £50 did not include 'storcupboard' ingredients....garlic, herbs, spices, oil, flour, stock (presumably from a cube/tub?....fresh stock isn't in my cupboard!), ketchup, mustard, tomato puree....
    Also, extra fruit and veg was needed to bulk out meals and provide '5 a day'.
    Too much relaince given on 'bready' meals....toast and jam for breakfast 3 times a week...sandwiches for lunch....

Now, I don;t know about you, but I'm sure we could get together on Cookery and do healthy meals for a family of 4 at £50 a week!
    How much would Sainsbury's pay us to use the 'TES Cookery Forum' approved mark?

I think my 3 meal offering would be....
    Breakfast:
    Porridge (Made from oats not Reddy Brek) with dried fruit added.
    Banana
    Tea

Lunch:
    Home made Veg and Lentil Soup (in a thermos for a packed lunch)
    Granary Roll
    Home made joghurt and fruit

Dinner
    Home made Fishcakes
    Mashed Root Veggies
    Baked Beans
    Fruit Crumble. (Homemade)

I haven't costed it - but it should fall into the required price bracket....a bit of foerthought needed to make the soup the day before I suppose.....and I think it's food most not-too-picky people will eat!

3. There are only 2 of us at home now but will have a bash. Some of the things you have mentioned, Bethannie, I would use too.
    <u>Breakfast-</u>
    porridge (with salt)
    milk
    fruit
    tea
    <u>Lunch </u>
    beans on toast or homemade soup(freezer)
    fruit
    yoghurt
    coffee
    <u>Dinner</u>
    freezer food e.g. spag bol, chicken curry
    salad
    juice/water

I would spend the rest on wine!!!