1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Feeble question about bedtimes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

My son is starting secondary school next week and I feel very out of touch about what is an appropriate bedtime. I know my mum made me go to bed at 8 when I was this age but that seems awfully early. He'll need to get up at about 8 in the morning but usually gets up a bit earlier than that. I want to lay down some rules now rather than just seeing how things go!

2. Doitforfree

My son is starting secondary school next week and I feel very out of touch about what is an appropriate bedtime. I know my mum made me go to bed at 8 when I was this age but that seems awfully early. He'll need to get up at about 8 in the morning but usually gets up a bit earlier than that. I want to lay down some rules now rather than just seeing how things go!

3. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

For my daughter (same age as your son) I am going to suggest bed at 9.30, lights out by 10. Of course she may decide on an earlier night after a week at secondary!

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I'd suggest 9 to start with, and review it after a month.

5. My own (self-imposed) bed time when I started secondary was about 9pm but then I had to be up, out the door get across the village ready for the school bus which left at 7.10am.

6. Has he not had bedtime rules before? What time does he usually go to bed?

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

When my children where of that age..we decided that they should be in their bedrooms by 9,although it varied at wekends or for special occasions such as music concerts etc....They both had tv.s at the time and so one of thearly games machines.So he was happy to go and play in the room.
    it seemed to workwell and the habit stayed through til the where 16 when boyfriends/girlfriends arrived.....but thats another story!

8. scilab

scilab New commenter

My son was in this position last year and I've kept his bedtime at 8.30 all year. He goes up then, and can do things in his room for half an hour then I go up and say good night, turn off his light at 9pm. This has slipped to be a bit later in the last half term, as it's been so light in the evenings, but the going up at half past eight pretty much all year.
    I've got an older daughter too who goes up at 9(ish!) but then has until 10 to actually get into bed and turned off.
    I expect this year with my boy going into year 8 that his bedtime will get a bit later, but he is the type of child who needs a lot of sleep at the moment and is normally very happy to get into his bed

9. Doitforfree

Sorry, I should have said, he's been home educated for the last eighteen months so bedtimes haven't really mattered. He usually gets up at about 7.30, having gone to bed about nine, but I'm anticipating him being more tired than normal.

Thanks for your replies. You've put my mind at rest that 9ish would be an acceptable time.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

9pm.
    Bit later Fri, Sat and holidays.

11. I remember it well. Because it was still daylight in September (remember? Back when September still felt like summer, not autumn?) my kids were still playing out later than they would normally, and we had the conversation about needing to set aside time to do homework and getting to bed a bit earlier because of getting up for school (about 8 - it was nearby and they walked).
    Despite my fine intentions, what it tended to boil to was "Does the TV programme I am watching end at 9.30 or 10?" X-Files nights, for example, tended to be a 10 p.m. bedtime but lights straight out.

12. Bed at 8.30 and read for half an hour - lights out at 9. Certainly to begin with - it is a huge step going from home education to 'proper' school. He is likely to be very tired and as all teachers will tell you, getting enough sleep is vital.

13. Doitforfree

I think you're right, Cosmos, he will be very tired. And he's a right little beggar when he's tired! I can remember being exhausted when I was that age but not wanting to admit it.

14. I would suggest 9 at the latest but, then again, when I was that age, I would go up at 8:30 and then read under the covers until 2 am! When I started boarding at my school, Year 7, 8 and 9s had to be in bed with the lights out at 9 and Year 10 and 11s were 9:30 pm.

15. impis

impis New commenter

Weekdays - KS3 - 9pm. KS4+ 10pm.
    Later on nights where they dont have to get up for school the next day.

16. Mine have to be in their rooms by 9 Sun - Thurs. They don't have TVs or gaming, so it's books and ipods and I am happy with that. Youngest (12) normally calls it a day at about 9.30. Older one (14) by 10. I like them to go up, because I feel I need some space by then and like to watch a bit of grown up TV, before I fall asleep on the sofa!