1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fee for deferred 2nd placement.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by redmel, Mar 9, 2016.

1. redmel

redmel New commenter

Hi

I wonder if anyone on here can help me, please.

I am currently on week 3 of my 2nd placement and I am suffering burnout. I am having anxiety attacks and simply can't carry on right now.

My university tutor has suggested I suspend my studies and continue in September If I really can't continue right now. So, I phoned around to find out the financial implications of doing this. It seems from student finance perspective I will be fine as I am almost at the end of this term, so there won't be much in terms of an overpayment. And I can apply for my 3rd intallment of finance in September as a continuing/deferred student.

However, the issue I am having is the cost of the placement. I was initially told that there would be no charge as long as I am not re-starting the module from the beginning. I have since been told that I will be charged £1500 as it will be the 2nd 'place' I have take at a school.

Can anyone here confirm whether they were charged for a deferred module/placement and if so when did it have to be paid by. Also did student finance cover this additional fee?

Many thanks x

2. Janey214

Janey214 New commenter

Hi,

I have deferred my second placement and have been told I wont be paying any extra. However I did not start the second placement, I stopped just before it would commence. The best thing to do is speak to the student finance department at your university. They will have a finance manager who can tell you exactly the amount you would need to pay. Also it is best to phone your student loans company and they will beable to say if they could cover the cost. They may say you would need to apply and see what the outcome would be.

Janey

3. redmel

redmel New commenter

HI Janey

Thank you for your reply.
    Since I posted I have managed to find out all the info I needed from various departments. It effectively works out that I won't be paying anything extra as SFE will simply pay the uni up to the date I suspended and then will pay the remainder once I start again in September.

I am hoping my university tutor is able to find me a placement to start as soon as the kids go back in September. I should be qualified by Christmas if she can.

I hope I can actually get the course finished when I start back.

4. Sportycb

Sportycb New commenter

I don't know if it is the same for your course. I had a similar problem with anxiety. I ended up going to the doctor (at both the school's and University's suggestion). They gave me a doctor's note to say I couldn't continue the placement on medical grounds and I deferred for free. However I was told that if I didn't have a doctor's then I had failed and would have to pay for the resit.

I don't know if this is the same for your course as I was at the end of Week 6 of 8 weeks on a QTS course.