1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fed up!

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by 8sycamore, Sep 29, 2017.

1. 8sycamore

8sycamore New commenter

I work 0.6 (three full days) in an indy school. It is my third year at this school, but I have been teaching for 12 years. I am so fed up with the way things are going that I am desperate to get out. I knew in an indy there would be more extra curricular demands, but this is ridiculous. Every single one of my lunchtimes is taken over by compulsory meetings and a club and I am expected to come in on non-working days for evening events. With no extra pay. Round trip is 90 minutes. On those days I can't do much because I have to go into work. I have to split a form tutor role fifty-fifty with a full-timer, who also has another paid responsibility role within the school. I really resent all this, especially as I am just a bog standard teacher, with no paid responsibilities. I like to get out of the building some lunchtimes, especially since I have been scheduled to teach right until the end of the day every day. Does anyone know, are we paid for lunchtimes? Can they insist on attendance at events on my days off? I feel like there is an attitude that teachers are some kind of saints. I'm not. I work really hard, spend free time on lesson prep and always have great observation feedback, but I go to work to earn money, not for fun!

2. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

indies set own rules....

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Statutory entitlement is that you are entitled to an uninterrupted 20 minute rest break if your working day is 6 hours or more.

You might be able to challenge things if you are doing pro rata more than full-time colleagues, but I think for a formal case it has to be tackled as indirect gender discrimination (as females more likely to be part-time). It might at least be worth asking them to consider whether you are being treated fairly, and whether you might be paid for the days you go in extra.

Other than that, you can try the "Would you be prepared to give me a reference? Another school is advertising a 0.6 post which wouldn't involve going in other days of the week, which would make it rather easier for me to manage my other commitments."

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Not when they are unlawful, they don't!

This needs a referral to your union, pronto.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. 8sycamore

8sycamore New commenter

I do think it is wrong and I contacted the union, but they were pretty wooly tbh. I was prompted to do this because we have been handed new contracts, with less favourable conditions, and we are being pressured to sign. I also posted previously that we have been asked about medical issues going back five years...this wasn't asked for initially. I am pretty annoyed about the extra evenings at the moment because they decided to move open evening because of the tube strike. It has been moved to a day when I was genuinely supposed to be out of town... Had to amend and shorten my plans, for no pay! Also, all full timers are given a paid day off after prize giving but, as I don't work on that day, along with some others, we are just expected to attend. No extra pay. I am pretty sure that isn't treating us the same as full timers. I am hoping to leave soon, so I am debating whether to keep quiet in order to get a reference, or to speak up again. I have had a meeting with the head and got nowhere. Anyone considering indys, especially part time, should read this and be warned!

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The Union will almost certainly tell you not to sign a new contract when you can keep the rights conferred in your current contract.
    You should not be attending meetings or parents' evenings etc on days when you don't work unless you agree to do so for extra pay. You should not have changed your plans when the tube strike forced the school to re-arrange an evening event.