1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fed up!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by nemo., Apr 2, 2011.

1. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Where did you get that idea???

Int schools offer the opportunity to explore the world, teach interested nice children and experience a new culture.

Online forums attract negativity and complaints. When was the last time you got all worked up because something went well [​IMG]

As for timing Nov/Dec last year was best time to start especially in shortage subjects as schools seem to snap up applicants earlier as less choice. Now it seems to be warming up as resignation dates coming up. I saw four jobs in my target country come uprecently and none before. I've got my job for August via TES which seems the best place to look. I joined Search, but late for there jobs where I wanted to go. Also I think agents are best for subjects where supply exceeds demand more.In shortgae subjects you don't need an agent.

2. Not sure about reputation. If they have a rubbish rep, they are probably a rubbish school!
    There are five or six top tier schools in Cairo, two or three second tier and the rest (the majority), stay away.
    I believe Qatar, Dubai and Kuwait are similar so in those areas, rubbish schools seem to be in the majority)
    Don't know about South America, Europe, Far East - maybe it's different there.
    I see nemo's point but there are some very dodgy places out there...

3. There's always something negative you can say about any school, international or not. If you get used to reading the reviews and the comments posted here, you will eventually learn to distinguish between the vindictive and those with a genuine grievance.
    Don't give up, there are plenty of good schools out there as well.
    Also, 'One mans meat is another mans poison.', a school that feels good to work in for one teacher may fell horrible to another.

Good luck.

4. Ooops a typo - I meant 'feel' not 'fell'

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

yep

6. Nemo, Foneypharaoh and robbiewilliams66- thank you for your helpful comments. I think looking for work internationally is just a time consuming and at times frustrating task. I also think you tend to hear more negative things about a school before you hear the positive. Hopefully I will get there! :)

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Have you ever thought of working nin Nigeria? Lots of schools there will give you a job will minimal effort. It's a great place getting a feel for international teaching.

8. The senior managers on here need to remember their non-management days....
    Hardly helpful with the brevity, Dude. Did I miss something or has Fifi come over poorly? There are tons of awful schools internationally; perhaps yours isn't one of them, but you know this is the case.
    As for advising someone to go to Nigeria, MM, surely that's only for the Bloobblers of this world....

9. I would say it's far easier to find negative reviews about a school, than positive reviews....

Take a look at International Schools Review. A large majority of schools on there appear to have bad reviews. When you think about it, it's probably to be expected. All those teachers that were happy or content with their experience dont feel the need to write about it because it's what they expected. On the other hand, those teachers that had a bad experience want to write about it....Its like trip advisor, i stayed in a **** hotel so i wrote about it. Never wrote about a good hotel i stayed in. (reminds me, when i wrote about this hotel, some guy emailed me, saying i was talking sh**e, haha).

If they made International Schools Review free, i bet there would be far more positive reviews.

As others have said, its not always just about the school. Some staff leave early because they dont like the culture, the weather, or something else that has nothing that much to do with the school. + In every school i have worked at, there is always atleast one member of staff that seems to want to make trouble, or stir things up, and depending how chilled/experienced the other staff members are, this can make a big difference.

10. True Rainbows. My school is considered one of the better schools here in Cairo - some might argue, 'the' best.....
    And yet we have staff leaving every year for whatever reasons. The country, the population, end of contract, their line manager...who knows...
    But there are schools (and countries, MM) where there is very little positive to say (because there isn't anything positive to say).
    And not all international children are a joy to teach. I think this is the biggest misconception for teachers wanting to work abroad. Easier than state, UK? Yes. Easy? No. Teachers who have poor pupil management in the UK will have poor pupil management abroad.
    Shady Heads and Principals are the norm at shister schools and this filters down very quickly. MM's and Dude's school are probably.....two of the best out there......[​IMG]

11. Yes. And invariably unfavourable Ofsted reports.

12. And, and, and, they're not shy to tell you.

13. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

I understand Fifi's sense of frustration. Taking the leap into your first international post is daunting, as well as exciting. Reading the constant stream of warnings on Tes about 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th tier schools doesn't reassure you.

I appreciate that many such posts are designed to warn, rather than scare, but the culmnative effects paint a desperate and dangerous picture.

Fifi, my advice would be to do your own research and go with your own instincts. Clearly, stay away from places like Nigeria, but a sh*t school in KL may still bring many positive experiences - you'd be living in KL!

It's all about taking a risk!

Let's face it, a lot of the posters on here are clearly one beer short of a six pack, and they seem to be thriving. They can't all be fantasists living in a bed sit in Milton Keynes, can they?

14. [​IMG]

15. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

As someone who has written a fair number of reviews for the International Schools' Review, I cannot agree that every single ISR review is untruthful, scurrillous whingeing. Some reviews try hard to be balanced, giving the good and bad points that most teachers are likely to find when starting work for a particular school. Yes, some of the reviews do seem to be pretty venomous and negative. Maybe it is because the person who wrote this or that review really was badly treated or let down in some way. Therefore it could be argued that the reviewer is being neither poisonous nor deceitful, just helpful and truthful.
    Of course schools can change quite quickly and a review that complains about dingy, dirty, cockroach-infested apartments can prove to be totally out of date if all the teachers moved into some swanky new flats a few months after the review was written. I remember a colleague who was afraid of accepting one overseas job because the principal had a dreadful reputation, but it all turned out well because the aforementioned principal conveniently died during the summer holidays.
    Oh, and isn't it also the case that principals often write references for teachers? And are these references always fair, balanced and objective? If principals do not like unpleasant things being written about them and about their schools on the ISR website, then perhaps they should try to listen to their staff a bit more and bear in mind that most international teachers have no safety net: no unions, contracts that are pretty worthless and no real hope of legal redress when things go pear-shaped.
    Not so long ago, the TES were foolish enough to publish an article I had written about my experiences when teaching in Kenya. After the editors had finished with it, the article painted such a rose-tinted picture that I had difficulty in recognising the truth of what I had written. The references I had made to muggings in Nairobi were all chopped out, as were my comments about biharzia, matatus and AIDS. I felt that the heavily edited version of my article that was printed in the TES was doing a disservice to young teachers who would be reading it and thinking of going to Kenya, as it did not give the full picture. So is the ISR unfair and unbalanced? Well, maybe it is, but exactly the same thing could be said about the TES!
    Dear Fifi, the truth of the matter is that there are quite a lot of fairly awful international schools. I know because I have taught in some of them! However, you still might enjoy the experience of working with new colleagues in a different country. Whatever else that can be said, international teaching will be an interesting change from the UK and it's better than being unemployed. There's no Council Tax and it might not be raining every day. Good luck!

16. As a newbie you soorley have made your stance; let the nutters be. Now there's a subjunctive for you, I mean us.

17. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

You may well have stumbled a little in advance of yourself, Sherlock notyet. My advice, don't have the business cards printed anytime soon! PI notyet might have a nice ring to it, but I don't think you're ready to jack in the day job.

18. Oh, I dont know..... I was imitating and laughing at my own accent........big boy. Sigh.....

19. Sorry about the big boy. Only woke up from my siesta 1 hours ago.

20. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter