1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fed up with myself - have wasted 2 weeks of my holiday

Discussion in 'Personal' started by way2serious, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Hi! I am feing really fed up with myself today as I have wasted two weeks of my holiday! I usually spend the first week doing school work - stuff I didn't have time to do and preparation septmber and then the second week blitzing my house and garden. The third week I visit my mother and then we go away with just a few days at the end to do last minute bits and pieces. Well this year I have so far done nothing and my house still looks a mess and I have a pile of school work still looking at me. I have now run out of time. On Sunday my son and I are off to visit my mother and then we get back we are going away as a family! I feel so cross with myself have just squandered the time I was so looking forward to and achieved nothing !! Help!

E

2. Hi! I am feing really fed up with myself today as I have wasted two weeks of my holiday! I usually spend the first week doing school work - stuff I didn't have time to do and preparation septmber and then the second week blitzing my house and garden. The third week I visit my mother and then we go away with just a few days at the end to do last minute bits and pieces. Well this year I have so far done nothing and my house still looks a mess and I have a pile of school work still looking at me. I have now run out of time. On Sunday my son and I are off to visit my mother and then we get back we are going away as a family! I feel so cross with myself have just squandered the time I was so looking forward to and achieved nothing !! Help!

E

3. Do a massive blitz of the house with your son tomorrow and offer him some spending money for his hols depending on how much he helps you. Take a few bits of marking to your mums to do on one or two of the evenings when people have gone to bed. Most importantly, don't feel guilty, after a year of hard work you're entitled to slob around for a bit.

4. If it is any consolation, I have one week of my holidays left and I have done nothing.
    My house is a state - I haven't cleaned or tidied it.
    My schoolwork is in a pile in the office - I haven't looked at it. My new planner arrived yesterday - I put it, still in the box, on top of said pile.
    We were away for 5 days, but other than that I have ventured no further than the nearest city where my oh's family live. Other than family and my best friend, I have seen/visited/phoned nobody.
    I did spend some time helping my mum clean out some of her cupboards - but as she gave me some spending money for going on holiday, I though that was only fair.
    What am I doing next week, my last week off...well, it should be all of the stuff I haven't done, but in reality, I get the feeling it will be rather similar to this week! Sweet F.A. and loving every minute!

5. Get your finger out. Do stuff.

Otherwise, just use the holiday for what it is. A HOLIDAY. Where you don't have to do stuff.

Jeesh. Modern living...

6. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

actually, it's ok to do nothing. Teaching is a bloody hard job and this is our time to rest and waste time. Stuff the tidying, no-one ever died from an untidy house. Pour yourself a large G+T and sit doing nothing - i highly recommend it [​IMG] eat some cake too

7. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Same here. I had so much to do (as CfE means we are now constantly reinventing the wheel) and I've done nothing at all. The house is a mess too. The only thing I've done is lounging about with tv and TES,and snack all day. Feeling pretty fat!

8. I have an interview coming up and I'm dreading any CfE questions, as the goalposts keep changing and am clueless as to what's de rigeur these days (for CfE)

bleh

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck!!!

10. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I wish that I could help you but I'm pretty sure that I look like a rabbit caught in headline everytime something to do with CfE comes up. Sheer panic at the realisation that I still don't get it. Most of time,I could cry!

11. You all make me feel much better! I think I may well bribe my son tomorrow and we can attack the house and he can earn some money for his iPod fund! Guess I am just feeling sorry for myself.

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Too right! [​IMG]

13. Snap!
    I was mixing that up with walking the dog, but I did my knee in and now I can't walk a hyperactive 8month old puppy! My parents have been really good with helping me out with the walking, but because I've been sitting about doing nothing, I weighed myself yesterday.
    Oh dear! [​IMG]

14. heh heh

And thanks Manashee. I don't care that much about getting the job, but I suppose I should. Money, etc.

15. This is probably a daft question, but what is CfE?

16. I was just going to ask the same thing!!

17. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

That is a very good question,a question that most teachers in Scotland ask themselves every day (apart from the few who pretend they've understood it all). It stands for Curriculum of Excellence and claims to be the next best thing since sliced bread. A lot of teachers,especially secondary schools ones,think it's the worst thing ever . Titanic does spring to mind.

18. Curriculum for Excrement...oops, sorry, Excellence

Otherwise known as the wonderfully, brilliant new Scottish Curriculum.
    We're highly enamoured and enthused by it.

19. Titanic was at least fit for purpose and got half the job done. The same cannot be said for CfE.

20. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

A better analogy might be all fur coat and no knickers!