1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fed up with moaning parents!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by teachermiss, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Hi, had a parent moaning and saying it was "disguisting" that no-one was taking off her daughter's coat for her.....said child is in the Nursery.
    What moans do you/have you all received?

2. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

How old is said child? I would suggest that if 2yrs+ point out the Self Care section of the EYFS, and kindley explain that this is part of children's learning and development to begin to dress themselves. It always works for me, when I say that it'll save them time in the long run, giving them more time to themselves, rather than running around after their kids.

3. Hello, said child is about 3 years and 2 months.........so many children stand in the cloakroom like clothes horses expecting you to do everything for them!

4. Some of our moans include:
    We don't take/put on their coat.
    We don't hang up/tidy their coats and bags.
    We don't help them to wipe their nose.
    We don't let them have their dummy/comfort toy.
    We don't look for all the missing jumpers/hats/gloves etc.
    This is reception.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

I stand in the lobby of our nursery and gently point out that it'd be better if the children put their bags in the bookbag box themselves, took off their coats themselves and found their own pegs themselves. It pays to have someone on nursery Meet and Greet. Parents of Little Princes/esses soon hear the praise heaped upon the children who manage to do these things for themselves.
    Persevere every morning. Be proactive when a parent goes to do these things for a child. Halt them in their tracks. Tell them why you wnat them to do it for themselves. They're often grateful after a few days of mayhem!

6. Think we had a similar conversation before Inky.
    I do the meet and greet outside the reception classroom but after a whole day of free flow/lunchtime etc the corridor goes a bit to pot.

7. <u>I</u> keep losing jumpers.........his/her name was definitely in it in September.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

8. Or, "'He's lost five jumpers this year... FIVE jumpers... what are you going to do about it? He didn't have his name in but it's a size 3-4 from the Tesco next door to the school so it will say that on the label."
    ...entire class has a school-coloured size 3-4 Tesco next door to the school jumper... yeah - really helps us find it! Then you teach a primary teacher's kid and they've taken it to the other extreme and put name tapes inside socks (I have actually seen this one before and it didn't half make me smile)!

9. Think that was me !! I am TOTALLY paranoid about labelling! [​IMG]
    But don't remember doing socks ( do gloves and hats tho!!) My daughter now 12 has said 'enough mother'!!
    One year was so bad, I bought a fine perma marker and if they didnt have names in wrote initials in myself after a constant stream of parents complaining. My head said this was fine ( check with yours though!) . No one ever complained and kept quiet as they knew they should write them in themselves!

10. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

We're a nursery school and all of our children very quickly learn to do coats, bags etc. Our parents come into nursery with their children though, so if the children can't manage yet, the parents help out.
    I do think reception children might still need help with wiping noses though, it is quite hard to go and often they smear it over their cheeks rather than wiping it off.

11. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

We're a nursery school and all of our children very quickly learn to do coats, bags etc. Our parents come into nursery with their children though, so if the children can't manage yet, the parents help out.
    I do think reception children might still need help with wiping noses though, it is quite hard to do and often they smear it over their cheeks rather than wiping it off.

12. Before the child starts school, I do a short powerpoint presentation about starting school. I have recently added an extra page about how parent's can help their child, this includes practising taking off coat and hanging it up, putting things into a bag and zipping it up. I told them at the meeting that staff would give encouragement and support but the child will be expected to do these things for themselves. It seems to have worked so far!

13. One parent was horrified that we didn't wipe (reception aged) children's bottoms for them.

14. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Suggest wet wipes that the child/ren can keep in their tray/s. Has worked for my kids that needed help xx