1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fed up of other people's misconceptions

Discussion in 'Independent' started by BB2009, Aug 20, 2011.

1. I work at an independent school and I am so sick of the comments I get from friends and acquaintances who dislike private education. I have many friends who are teachers, or training to be teachers, and I constantly get comments such as 'My friend says most people who work in independent schools aren't even qualified' or 'You took money from the government (no I didn't!) and now you don't work in their schools'. People seem to forget that the parent's of children at private schools still pay their taxes so what does it matter?
    The worst is 'My PGCE tutor says that if you get a job at a private school you will never ever get a job in a state school and your NQT year doesn't count'. The latter greatly upsets me as my NQT was very hard and it does count! I would also like to move back to state school later on and if people in charge of training teacher's are spreading these lies then what hope is there! I am so sick of it and it has come to the point where I have been made to feel like I am a 'failure' or have messed up my career for teaching in an Independent school.
    When I originally got this job I was even 'told off' by my own PGCE tutor! Am I the only one who comes across these kind of prejudices or do others face this too? Perhaps I should just fins some new friends...or family?! :)

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I always thought that you must put the PGCE 2nd over a BSc for example because they should be in order of getting them, so I would always put Mrs Trinity BSc(Hons), PGCE because that's the way I got them in the same way that my hubby would he is Mr Trinity BSc(Hons), ACA.
    Our learning support teacher is listed at school as , B.Sc. (Hons) P.G.C.E. Cert.SpLD, again the order in which she did the qualifications.

3. I never mention my PGCE as a !qualification! because I do not think it is one. I list my qualifications as my degrees, followed by my membership of professional bodies (Chartered).

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I would question whether your friends are true friends, really. I have a few ex-colleagues who made some comments about the extra holiday I get - I make a point of commenting on facebook when I go into school on a Saturday for open days, for instance, and also when I go on trips during holiday time. And then get my own back by gloating as soon as we break up for the summer holidays.
    At the end of the day, you can have an easy ride in the state sector, and you can have an easy ride in the independent sector. Usually if you're the hard-working type, it doesn't matter which sector you're in, you'll still be hard-working.
    Teachers are easy targets. You'd think that fellow teachers would understand that.
    Oh, and I still remember how badly I wanted that job when I went for interview at my current indie, and the feeling of pride when I got it. I also know that most of the gloating ex-colleagues wouldn't have stood a chance (and wouldn't even have tried).

5. OP - did you do your NQT year in an indie school? I've been offered an NQT post at mine and I've found that a lot of people think I've been making it up because they think you <u>can't ever</u> do induction outside the state sector. A lot of misinformation seems to come from ITT institutions which I find a bit worrying.
    Couldn't agree more! Teachers get so much stick from people working in other sectors that you'd think we wouldn't start on each other... and we should feel proud that we have our jobs, especially in the current job climate!
    Have to say I'm lucky, though, as none of my state-sector teaching friends have been iffy at all about the matter of teaching in an indie.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That really is nonsense. I'm now retired but during my career I worked in three HMC schools and can honestly say that I was probably among the least qualfied of the staff (I have a Cambridge MA, a PGCE and a professional post-graduate qualification in my subject from the Royal Academy of Music). Many of my colleagues had doctorates and publications to their name (the display of red gowns and bonnets on Prize Day was a sight to behold).
    Well, that is something for the government to consider, not you. I will just add that there were 37 students on my PGCE course many years ago. Of those, 33 went into the independent sector (and stayed there), one went to a state school (a 6th-form college that still figures at the top of the league tables) and the other three did not go into teaching.
    These days, the reality is that many who train as teachers leave the profession soon after qualifying, so your "friends" might equally say of them that they have taken government money but do not work in their schools - at least you are still in teaching, so are saving the government money by teaching pupils of parents who have paid their taxes and then paid again for the specific education that you offer. In particular, you might reference the Teach First scheme, into which the government pumped millions, and yet almost none of those who went through it is still now teaching.

7. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

From an international perspective, I would not worry about these comments at all. We are an HMC school overseas and for around 20 vacancies a year I receive in excess of 1000 applications from teachers (mainly from the UK). Good teachers want to work in the independent sector, good teachers want to work in the state sector. Good teachers will care about their students and put in the hours required - whether parents are paying through taxes or directly.

8. Hi, yes I did it in an independent school. It all worked pretty much the same as in a state school I think. You definitely can do the NQT year as long as they provide the correct induction (induction mentor/NQT time etc). Congratulations on getting a job!
    Thank you for all of the replies! I feel better now :)

9. pussycat

pussycat New commenter

Ignore them - it's often envy.

10. Wow, I agree with most of everyone's comments, and am adding mine, juuust in case they weren't enough.
    Yes, people who hate you or your job or your school possibly are jealous and yah, probably wouldn't have been confident enough to try out for an Inde place. The reason is exactly the gripe that they have. It is about the apparent non-necessity of the PGCE. This places more value on your 'real' degrees. If one doesn't get a 1st or at least a 2.1, one wouldn't even think of applying, they'd allow the shame of a possible rejection stop them from even taking a second glance at the ad. So well done you. Teaching is hard enough. You don't need to be ripping your hair from your roots to be awarded any credit for your passion/ interest/ creativity etc.
    Having a sense of humour, and knowing when to sidelong the low-level nonsense is all part of being an effective teacher, isn't it? So is not taking offence and not being defensive. You have nothing to prove to anyone else, you've proven it by getting a fabulous job! [​IMG]