1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fed up of cheap clothes.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by towncryer, Apr 19, 2019.

1. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I don't mean cheap to buy ,I'm talking about the poor quality generally from well named brands.
    Just ironing a T shirt today that I have worn and washed only 3 times...and already there are little holes appearing in the fabric.
    Then there is dye that runs and make mysterious patches elsewhere on the clothes. Hems that come unstitched and buttons that are barely sewn on on the first place.It really is depressing.

I know that they're not intended to last forever and that the idea is that we go out and buy more...but 3 wears and washes!

Anyone else tired of the quality of today's clothes and can you recommend some brands /shops where quality is guaranteed?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I have found holes in lots of tops in recent years. I wear jeans a lot and I think the zip makes holes in the front of thin tops - really really annoying. M and S t shirts are OK, White Stuff woollen tops are not :mad: and they're so expensive.

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I only wear Chanel. Well on nights off that is, normally its helmet with the horns, sheepskin waistcoat, wool trews, steel greaves and breastplate, and a snarl! ;)

4. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Take the tshirt back. Not acceptable as not fit for purpose!

5. towncryer

Unfortunately mine with the holes is M and S. I expected better from them.

6. towncryer

Easier said than done in my part of the world. The same rules regarding taking things back don't apply.

7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I had this problem some years ago. It turned out to be the quality of my washing machine that was at fault, not the quality of my clothes.

8. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I bought some pyjamas from next a couple of years ago and tiny little holes began to appear the second time I wore them.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I guess if you're worried about the state of your clothes then you could confine your contact with the outside world to just on here.
    All you'd need to worry about then would be the state of your mind.

10. towncryer

Washing machine is new. Can't be that. This is not a new problem and happened with the old machine as well. I am convinced it is the quality of the fabric and the of the manufacture.I have some clothes that I have had made..they don't have the same problems.

11. towncryer

That's what I get...tiny holes.

12. drvs

drvs Star commenter

And your cushions.

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I don't.

patternandsurface and towncryer like this.
  14. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I don't think the quality of next is anywhere near what it used to be. I have a t-shirt from there that I've had for ten years at least. Didn't realise quite how old until I saw an old photo It's almost as good as new Stuff I've bought from there in the last few years is no where near that good yet they're no cheaper to buy
    My other half has a fair amount of stuff from fat face. That's the same. The older stuff is far better quality than the new stuff

15. towncryer

Nothing I bought from next lasted out the year.I haven't got older clothes to compare with but I'm sure this shows that the quality of clothes is getting worse.

16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Are you sure you don't need some mothballs/deterrants in your wardrobe?

towncryer likes this.
  17. towncryer

Thanks for the tip...but we already have those. We have a number of insects out here that we would rather not have sharing our living space so I would say that we are very vigilant when it comes to keeping them away. No its definitely the clothes themselves.

needabreak and agathamorse like this.
  18. towncryer

And its not just the holes...as I mentioned in the original post its the quality of the hems and seams and the way the buttons are sewn on. I usually get a needle and thread when I buy anything with buttons and make sure they are all firmly fastened before I wear the clothes.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Probably moths. My partner reckons holes are caused by acid rain if you leave the washing out in the rain. Shes not a scientist.

20. burajda

burajda Star commenter

You got there before me