1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fed up - need a moan!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jader123, Jun 21, 2011.

1. I am a nearly qualified teacher and started applying for jobs back in March. Since then I have handed in 10 applications, doesn't sound like loads but each time it takes hours to visit school, write application, do cover letter etc etc and I can't help but feel like I have wasted so much time already. I want to believe there is light at the end of the tunnel...

From these 10, I have got 1 interview which I obviously didn't get. However, 5 of these close on Thursday or Friday so keeping fingers crossed for them! I just can't help but feel annoyed and upset because all I want to do is teach, nothing else at all! I feel amazing when I am teaching, no other feeling like it (sounds soppy I know lol).

GRRRRR, feel so much better now. RANT OVER :)

2. I am a nearly qualified teacher and started applying for jobs back in March. Since then I have handed in 10 applications, doesn't sound like loads but each time it takes hours to visit school, write application, do cover letter etc etc and I can't help but feel like I have wasted so much time already. I want to believe there is light at the end of the tunnel...

From these 10, I have got 1 interview which I obviously didn't get. However, 5 of these close on Thursday or Friday so keeping fingers crossed for them! I just can't help but feel annoyed and upset because all I want to do is teach, nothing else at all! I feel amazing when I am teaching, no other feeling like it (sounds soppy I know lol).

GRRRRR, feel so much better now. RANT OVER :)

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

So you've had 1 interview out on 5 applications then? (As the rest close this week?) Thats a 20% sucess rate - thats good! I've applied to nearly 20, 2 interviews and there is nothing new I can even apply for now! Don't get too disheartened just yet, your doing a lot better than many people on this forum. Good luck on the ones that are closing soon x

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, we understand your frustration.So many of us here just can't get interviews or if so, not the actual job!
    Unfortunately there are fewer jobs around this year & many more applicants. Have you seen Theo's facts about how many NQTs even from 3 years back are still awaiting to start induction? Reall frightening for you young ones.
    Only 10 application, with 5 still to go & 1 interview from the others isn't a bad success rate.
    Btw -I score something like a 1 in 200 rate of success for an interview!

5. Ditto I've sent out this year about 20 application forms, had 1 interview and no job offers.
    Very fed up, very disheartened and still have 1/2 term of NQT year left to do!
    x

6. Sympathy - Not a chance!
    Empathy - bucket loads!
    Try being a returning teacher, on MPS6. My success rate since Christmas - 60 applications, 0 interviews! 2 applications outstanding, and to be honest I'm not holding out any hope. 3 children to support I've no idea how!

7. littlemissraw

I thought NQT could only be done in full terms? x

8. I'm feeling the same ! I have been applying since February ! I managed to have 4 interview but unfortunately the schools took the people who had more experience. I am French and I am looking for a French and Spanish job, the feedbacks I received from my interviews have been brilliant and I have always been the second best candidate. I don't know whether I should be happy or not about it. Basically when I ask what I should do for my next interview I am told to do exactly the same but I still don't have a job ! My subject knowledge is not to demonstrate since I am a native speaker, but I always prepared my interviews thoroughly. I don't know what else I can do? It's really frustrating because I genuinely love teaching and I love being in the classroom. I'm looking for a job in the South of England and London (a pretty large area then) and I am pretty flexible and willing to relocate in case I am offered a job. I feel so disheartened now, I almost feel like given up ! I know people who just do this job for the money and/or holidays while it's definitely not my priority and still they have a job and I don't ! It's SO frustrating ! I'm going to France in few weeks now for holidays and I don't know whether I will be back or not as I can't afford to stay in England if I don't have a job. It's even more heartbreaking as I have my boyfriend here. He is a student (2nd year of PhD) so he cannot really help me as he is already struggling to pay his rent given the PhD students budget :S

As I say I keep on applying but I never thought it would be that hard to find a job and like you I am annoyed and upset. As you said the application process is time consuming but hey we have to keep going and hope that a school will see our true potential ! Good luck !

9. Thankyou for all your replies. It is nice to know I am not the only one feeling like this! It is hard when you spend so long filling in each application and I always tend to get myself thinking ahead and imagine myself working at that school and thinking about what it will be like etc... probs not a good idea lol!

10. littlemissraw

Have you had a look at the generic application goodform is trying to put together? I know theres only been limited feedback on it so far so more would be good...
    I know what you mean, I have an active imagination too, hard to reel it in but better to try and be positive than negative even if it does lead to the odd disappointment. Fingers crossed something comes out tomorrow. x

11. I've sent out 6 apps and had 3 interviews. I was second choice (but best teacher) at yesterday's, and first choice at today's but they decided after the interviews not to appoint anyone! I'm going through redundancy at the mo, and today was my last chance to secure work for Sept. Todays result has made me so cross. Have started to look for other careers, not at all what I want to do but I have no choice....

12. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I would like to contribute to this interesting and at times very saddening thread. If you really want to teach and you are fed up with not getting a job or even an interview, then I would recommend teaching overseas. I left the UK back in 1998 and have taught in Africa, Romania and the Middle East. I would suggest teaching in an international school to anyone in the profession who is sick of trying to teach in the UK. Well motivated students, a tax-free salary, lots of sunshine, an apartment paid for by the school and no bloody Ofsted: now does that sound like a good idea or what?
    If even only half of what I have read on this thread is true, then I just do not know how any of you teachers in the UK manage to stay sane, sending out one application after another and often not even getting a reply or going for an interview and then being told that they have decided not to appoint anyone at all! Reading this thread, it sounds as though every BEd and PGCE ought to come with a Goverment Health Warning or else be sponsored by the makers of Valium.
    I am sorry that you did so well at the interview, only to be told that they had changed their minds and really there was no job after all. How appalling!
    LittleMissCurious, there are still international jobs if you really want one for September.
    </td></tr></table>

13. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I am sorry that you did so well at the interview, LittleMissCurious, only to be told that they had changed their minds and really there was no job after all. How appalling!
    Having you thought of applying for overseas jobs? Since leaving the UK in 1998, I have been teaching in Africa, the Middle East and Romania. I would recommend international teaching to anyone who wants a change.

14. Nope, I worked from Nov half term last year till end of July. 8 weeks left=half a term approx

15. Well, I'd applied to nearly 40 before being offered a post for the coming year, and I don't even want to count the number of interviews I attended that ended up with being told "there's someone else better"!
    Unfortunately, applying for teaching roles is the same as any other job at the moment - highly competitive. It's easier if you aren't tied to a specific area (there's been a total of 3 that I could have applied for if that was the case, I'm just lucky(?) in that my partner and I don't live together at the moment anyway, and have decided another year or two apart won't kill either of us...)
    Good luck with the applications, try to keep positive!

16. Ohmygod LittleMissCurious, I can't believe schools are allowed to this! No wonder you want to look elsewhere. I must admit teaching abroad has crossed my mind but I have my fiance of 5 years who wouldn't be willing to go because of family members etc. Gosh, I can't even imagine applying for 40 odd jobs! I think I would cry! I am anxiously waiting as I am meant to hear if I have interviews from 2 jobs today, although I think it will be later on this evening. Fingers crossed! Also, when will it be a good idea to give up on a chance for sept job cos surely all notices etc have been handed in?

17. littlemissraw

I worked a full year but the 3rd assessment was never sent. So how long would I have to do then? x

18. Depends on what your next school says, they might say full or some might say half
    x

19. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, I had a nice letter in the post this morning from my final placement school saying I hadn't been successful at even getting a fricking interview! I can't even get an interview at my final placement school....very depressed right now. I officially give up :'(

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Understand you're feeling upset just at present but you will get over it in a week or so. Chin up!