1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fed up, had enough!! Anybody else??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3738, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Think I am close to giving it all up... I qualified last April, 14 months ago. I am getting no where. Haven't even found anything for yet another September I can't bare doing this all over again. I'm tired, demotivated and emotional. I actually feel sick. I keep following everyones advice, write an ES for every application but still nothing.
    Is there any other profession I could go into with teaching qualifications?? Don't have the time, money or patience to re-train. [​IMG]
    Anybody else feel similar??

2. Think I am close to giving it all up... I qualified last April, 14 months ago. I am getting no where. Haven't even found anything for yet another September I can't bare doing this all over again. I'm tired, demotivated and emotional. I actually feel sick. I keep following everyones advice, write an ES for every application but still nothing.
    Is there any other profession I could go into with teaching qualifications?? Don't have the time, money or patience to re-train. [​IMG]
    Anybody else feel similar??

3. Hello!

I qualified last July and didn't find anything until now for a September start. I actually began looking at other professions when my applications were either not responded to or I was flat out rejected.

I think you have to question whether or not you are willing to carry on in the position you are in until you find a job or you just don't think its worth it anymore.

Have you looked at the application help given in the Jobseekers area? It is invaluable. It helps write your supporting statement in a way you WILL get noticed.

However you can look into other things. Perhaps higher education? But to go into another profession you will need to train as each profession requires it.

You WILL get a job at some point. If not now then later, I am sure of it. It is a waiting game. However you've got to really build a thick skin whilst waiting. Supply work is awful as it is so rare! Tutoring or working in an establishment with children (such as after school clubs, youth clubs etc) will keep you in contact with them and remind you of why you went into this profession in the first place.

Hang in there. It will get better.

4. I love your optimism, which comes I'm sure from having secured the Holy Grail - a job!
    Yes, I am jealous! I am also very pleased for you, you can get on with your life, well done.
    Personally I'm 7yrs in from qualifying, I've no job after 31st July, I've 3 children to support, so out of teaching is the way forward for me now. I can't reply on Supply. I'm praying that one of the jobs being advertised at the moment has my name on it. I neeed that job.

5. I feel like this too! I qualified this time last year and have got no where, despite following the job seekers advice and having my statement checked countless times by head teachers and senior teachers, to no avail. I have been thinking about other routes to go down, but I need a job now and can't afford to pay out to undertake more training. I am also contemplating whether to go on applying for jobs after the summer holidays...
    I really wish I knew what the answer was, but what I can say is that you are definitely not alone in feeling this way.

6. :( sounds like you are feeling low. I guess the question id be asking in your situation is what can i do to stand out from the crowd...for me i applied for my masters gained various other certificates. I know more time money etc...but better than starting from scratch maybe?
    chin up...

7. I know how you feel. I have been trying for 3 years to get a permenant job. Just had a string of maternity covers and long term sick leaves. They are fine, but the impact not having a permenant job has on a mortgage or any plans for the future is not great. I got my current temp job from writing to schools and sending my CV. This was actually suggested to me by one of the supply agencies I was with at the time. You could try that. I also send with my applications photos of students work. I teach a practical subject, so I guess that may not work with every subject, but maybe worth a try. I also got the head at my current and previous school to write a testimonial for me (basically its your reference with slightly more added on) and I send that with applications too. All worth a go. I was close to giving up, but you have to stick with it. Try also to make contacts with teachers in your area, that was you may hear of some jobs before they are advertised. Good luck.

8. I had the same experience too. I qualified since July 2006 but have not done my NQT yet. I have worked abroad as a curriculum adviser and have written books for Foundation Stage children. Returned to this country last year and since then have had only one supply for few weeks. I sent my CV to schools and no positive response. One of them sounded positive at first and said they would be advertising and so would be getting in touch with me soon. However, i didn't wait for them to get in touch. I continued checking for their advert, and when it finally came out, I applied. Guess what happened... I was not called for interview! and after a long while, they sent me a letter saying that they had "very good and quality responses" to the advert.
    That was just one of my many ugly experiences. When agencies see my CV and interview me, they are so positive about schools wanting me, but so far nothing good has come out of it.
    But finally, i found a better way of making my life more fun, more rewarding and less frustrating. I found out about a flexible business that allows me time to do supply teaching should any come, continue with my writing and curriculum advisory job, while still making money. i do this job full time while in the UK and make my money full time.
    If anybody is interested in making little extra money at the end of the month and still continue with teaching job search or putting in 20+ hours a week to build a fantastic and rewarding income for themselves, then get in touch with me at edithjobmail@yahoo.co.uk

9. i qualified in 2006, 5 years ago and in same situation! ive had long term supply but thats it. I have had heads check my letters too.....
    what can we do to get noticed?

10. I qualified this time last year but have been jobseeking for around 18 months now and had a total of 7 interviews in that time. I haven't got anything lined up for this september and have just sent off an application for the last (and only) job in my subject and area.
    Supply has been practically non-existant bar 6 weeks cover in one school. I have just found out I have got an interview for a full-time permanant call centre job which pays quite well. So if I get the job then it looks like I'm leaving teaching! I cannot afford being unemployed anymore, I've been out of work for a year now and don't claim any benefits so I have been living on practically zero!
    I'm not sure whether I'm happy or sad to be leaving teaching, I'm pretty certain that me taking this non teaching job is going to mean that I will never get back into education and secure a job as a teacher.
    Good luck to you all!