1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fed up. Didn't get the job.again.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mmm...Milk, May 23, 2012.

1. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

I remember last year posting on here full of hell because I hadn't got a job. Was has happened to me? Now I Just expect it,- I can spot the successful canditate on entry. I shrug my shoulders and walk away. Keep battling on. I wonder now if there is any point.
    Sorry, feeling really fed up, partic as all the other candidates knew about the interview on Friday, and I only found out monday.

2. It is quite difficult and demoralizing. Its hard to keep positive and probably the most difficult when u keep trying only to be let down (again)-You could attend the Tes careers seminar to re look at what you have been doing. It just might pick you up again and re examine any mistakes you are doing. Some how you have to keep going-we are in the same position and we are not sure either-however we have an interview tomorrow.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, SO SO SO disappointing, Milkie!
    And I'm not surprised that you feel fed up, what with wasting a lovely sunny day for the interview, and also the problem with the information not reaching you.
    Just one littlep oint: what is it about the other candidate that makes you identify them as potential succes stories? And could you do whatever it is that they do to give that impression of success too? First impressions count, as we all know!
    Now to get to the serious business:
    Go on, have some! And then have . . . SOME MORE!
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

So sorry you've had a disappointment.
    Have a look on the Flowers thread.

5. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Dear mmm...Milk,
    I too did not get my dream job yesterday. Yes I am upset and really need a job for several reasons.
    Please do not think of yourself as less than others. You must think of yourself as a wonderful and able person as I am sure you are. yes I know I have not got my job either and you may think what does she know. Of course be reflective as this is an important part of being a teacher
    I arrived to this country 12 years ago and I could not even speak English ( of course I am now quite good ) and I do not think of my self as less than others.I know my accent ( I am Spanish with a very strong Spanish accent) puts me at a disadvantage but I always use this to my advantage explaining how I could be very active and useful to EAL pupils and their parents and I strongly beleive that htis keeps me going aswell as other aspects of my life.
    I actually think that you are very perceptive and intelligent to recognise who will get the job so think positively
    You (we) will get the job we are currently working so hard to get.
    I hope this little bit of encouragement helps.
    Remeber you are a great person with lots to offer !
    Bless you
    Take care and good luck
    Cristina

6. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

Thanks for you kind comments and the chocolate and flowers! Have decided that today I am not going to look for any jobs, I am going to go and make a dress for myself. Have never done this, so it could be quite a challenge! Then I am going to go and sit in the sun and enjoy my children. I am off to a "life gym" session on saturday, so hopefull this will clarify things in my head and I can identify what is going on and how I am going to achieve. I fear that having children, and not being prepared or able to do after school activities every day, or stay until the night (if you left at 6, you are thought of as going home early) isn't helping me.
    Christina - sorry to hear of your disappointment yesterday too, and anyone else that lost out on a job.
    What really got to me yesterday was my referee complained that she had spent all this time on my reference, and made me feel really bad about it.
    Good luck to you all, Milkx

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But she has now got it all ready for the next time. [​IMG]
    Enjoy the summery day and summery tasks. Big hug to the children.
    Best wishes

8. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Now that sounds like a very good idea.
    Good luck you will succeed.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Understandably, you're feeling 'down' after the disappointment, so well done for turning that into something positive, " I am going to go and make a dress for myself. Have never done this, so
    it could be quite a challenge! Then I am going to go and sit in the sun
    and enjoy my children. I am off to a "life gym" session on saturday, so
    hopefull this will clarify things in my head and I can identify what is
    going on and how I am going to achieve
    ."
    Hope you enjoyed the sunshine and didn't get too tangled up and confused with that dressmaking. (You're welcome to PM me if you need a few hnts and tips on that front if you like.)
    Posted this recently and would be good for you too.
    [​IMG]

10. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

After another wasted day of not even getting interviewed, further to Theos comment above,I have come to the same conclusion as I have done in the past.
    The thing that the other candidates have (on todays job for certain) was they had all had the same PGCE tutor as everyone else who teaches in the area, they were already known within the school and able to chat to the department as friends, at interview. Because they had all be taught by the same person, they all had the same teaching styles, which meant that their teaching style fitted the departments style. My teacher training was very different and the style I have been trained in doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.
    I do not stand a chance at interview any more, only at the more obscure jobs that aren't in the main teaching schools areas.
    I am now ready to accept that I will never get a job in teaching, but I have no idea what else I am doing to do.

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Can you be more explicit, milky? How is your style so different?
    I took part in observing an interview lesson the other day and I was simply looking for how well the candidate delivered the material and how much progress the children made in the session.
    I wasn't looking for any particular style at all.

12. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

I have no idea why it is different, I use many different styles, I suspect it was just some feedback rubbish. They knew that they were going to take one of the other two, never me, so why bother interviewing me, just get rid of me after the lesson.
    I I guess I talked too much or something, and my timings were rubbish.I used lesson ideas from my training school (so giving them info, talking through it and then getting them to answer questions) rather than dream up something else. I have no department or recent school experiance to get ideas or support from, I usually try and do something different, and I should know better than using my training school ideas because they have always got me back feedback in interviews. It is the only info I have though.
    it's just another huge confidence knock, and i could do without it.

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm sorry, I haven't read through all your threads and posts so I don't know if or where you are working, therefore forgive me if you have heard the following before. Have you tried working as a cover supervisor or a TA or a supply teacher, just to get inside a school and observe current practice?
    Once you get your foot in the door and they can see what you are made of, you will stand a good chance of getting a job in a school. As you pointed out, it is often who you know and being in the right place at the right time. I am in my current position through doing supply at a school, no interview required. I got another job through a friend's recommendation and a chat with the head (they were desperate for someone at the time....)
    At least you are being invited to interviews, which is half the battle, so that should boost your confidence. Don't give up and try not to give off an air of defeatism when you do go for an interview.
    As I say to my two children whenever they have an interview: "Sparkle!" and they know what I mean. [​IMG]

14. Hi everyone, especially Mmm Milk, whom I remember on this forum last year too.

Sorry everyone is having such a tough time (including me!) finding that illusive teaching position.

This time last year I had run out of time on the supply front ( I qualified in Nov 2008), so took a Higher Level Teaching Assistant's job at a nearby school, which meant I would be teaching on a regular basis plus providing cover. My first year is almost over, have had two interviews at the school; interview number one, we liked the teaching but you didn't interview at all well. Interview number 2 which was today, you nailed the interview this time but your teaching was only satisfactory and other candidates were good to outstanding!! Incidentally a trainee on the GTP programme has been given a position at the school without even having to apply, so they have never had an interview!! That is a hard one to swallow.

This year I have regularly taught RE and PSHE to year 4, have covered in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 at the drop of a hat, lead two learning assistant training sessions, fully participated in all CPD but no it seems it's better to employ someone new! But of course don't give up, we're thinking of how we can give you more experience to tighten things up for next year (which to me sounded like more responsibility, more time spent at home preparing stuff, for the same rubbish money!!) and no guarantee of gaining a position.

I too never anticipated these difficulties when I left my job of 18 years (5 years ago on Aug 31st) I am totally broke, struggling to pay my bills and thinking is it time to call it a day. There seems to be too many of us training to be teachers and too few jobs for us all to fill!

Things must improve at some point, so keep trying everyone :)

Not too sure what I will do though!