1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fed up ........ again!!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Nowayout, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

When will it stop....

Social media abuse directed at myself following a simple letter sent home regarding uniform due to child wearing brand new designer trainers for school.

Apparently household budget can’t stretch to school shoes.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Err... never. My sympathies.

I can only give the squaddies' line, "If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have signed up".

You are a Head because you convinced the Governors that you were the best person to deal with all sorts of rubbish and still get the school to achieve for all*. Their opinion of you counts, various numpties' on social media don't.

*If you have ever used the phrase, "Learning journeys" then I withdraw all my sympathy.

bevdex, nomad and Nowayout like this.
  3. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

True- just need to thicken my rhino skin I suppose!!

nomad likes this.
  4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We've had the swiss roll scandal, the jo-jo bow war, the make-up massacre, the trainer trauma, the phone fiasco-a seemingly constant stream of irritating, seemingly minor skirmishes that have grown out of all proportion through social media. There are more what'sapp chat groups that I care to mention-the "We hate the Yr 3 teacher group", the "Yr 6 teacher is a tyrant group", the "Yr 6 teacher is a saint" group, you name it-we have a chat group to disect it, pour over it and gossip about it. Every letter home, every conversation is pulled to pieces and offence taken. My only consolation is that the parents are more at war with themselves ( at least 2 court cases ongoing at the moment:D) than they are with me!

5. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

Brilliant!

6. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

You have my sympathies too...it will never stop.

I've had the social media abuse and an almost constant stream of abusive emails from one parent over uniform. I now think that uniform should be banned because the abuse is not worth it.

Can't say better than Carrie!

Nowayout likes this.
  7. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

could be worse.. they could have stood at the school gates and petitioned against you...

Nowayout likes this.
  8. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Sorry - that sounded flippant. It is horrible and shouldn't happen.
    Do you have a parents code of conduct? Do you have evidence of this abuse on a public page? I think your governors should take action if so...

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  9. SJ26

SJ26 New commenter

I hope that this has begun to improve.
    I had a similar aggressive family.... rushed through a zero tolerance policy in the end.
    Same delightful family have also posted horrid things on Facebook about me .... been advised to get police to chat with them about harassment. Not sure I want to add fuel to the fire but nice to have the back-up, if needed.
    Roll on Easter hols!!!

welshwales likes this.
  10. J_bird11

J_bird11 New commenter

I hate social media since I became a head! We have a nursery parents whatsapp group who have been whipping each other into a frenzy about illness, so of course the conclusion is that the school isn't clean o_O Nothing to do with small children getting ill because they need to build their immunity :rolleyes: Roll on Easter!

welshwales likes this.
  11. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Grade the families' support for each school pupil and put it on the report:

"Outstanding", "Good", "Requires Improvement" and "Inadequate" would get them thinking. Share them with social services, if necessary.