1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fears of radicalisation prompt government to review home schooling

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Dec 21, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Social workers in Birmingham have problems protecting children. Why should "local authority contacts" be any more effective in their role?

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Oh yes - using the 'fear of terrorism' to take away more freedoms. Let's interfere with those who home-ed and send Ofsted round? And if they 'fail'? Alternatively, let's make home-edding illegal and force everyone to send their child to school. I wonder where the money is going to come from for all those extra places?

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I wonder if it's ludicrous to suggest that it won't be long before parents who home-school are required to have DBS.

5. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Limiting the religious indoctrination of children would be more effective.

wanet likes this.
  6. monicabilongame

Limiting how, @Eureka? You can't stop parents indoctrinating their children. Schools should not be indoctrinating them anyway. But if children never learn about anyone else's religion (or even alternative versions of their own), they may well grow up into even more intolerant and ignorant adults who are all too ready to see anyone who is not 'them' as 'other' and demonise them/bomb them etc.

7. Vince_Ulam

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

10. Vince_Ulam

Which is the point.

11. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'm not so sure that's a bad idea. I can't give too many details for fear of identification but a situation became apparent to me recently where 2 children who are supposed to be home educated, aren't. Neither child has attended school for 3 years, neither gets educated at home or elsewhere, neither child leaves the house for anything other than shopping, they are isolated from everyone but their parents. Social services and the LEA are aware but have done nothing because, apparently, the parents can elect to remove their children without any further intervention. Both children are upper secondary age.
    This is not a religion-based scenario but you can see how children can get lost from society. There needs to be many more checks on home educated children.

emerald52, wanet, FrankWolley and 2 others like this.
  12. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

That is appalling Red!
    I thought parents had to provide an alternative education of some sort? It shouldn't take too much doing if most are doing a good job, which they probably are, being committed to something alternative-education.

13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I thought that's what parents had to do too. We tend to make the assumption that parents want the best for their children but I've learnt that they don't always and some don't seem to care about the lifelong effects this sort of action will leave. It's a real tragedy in this case :(

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Most child abuse takes place in the home by family members or those known to the family. So, maybe not a bad idea.

wanet likes this.
  15. monicabilongame

I've known of and taught many traveller kids who have left school to be 'home-educated' or to 'go travelling' and in truth are 'working' (boys) with their big brothers/uncles/dads (sometimes working, other times playing look-out while the others nick the copper piping) or keeping house (girls) because their older sister who was doing this has married.

Parents do not always want what is really best for their kids but I don't think any parent deliberately sets out to scupper their child's chances in life.

16. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Lots of parents think "It was good enough for me..."
    But either you have a law that says all children must be educated, or you don't. Home-educated children need the services of a trained, educated adult as much as state [other] educated children do, and be subject to the same checks.
    I'm sick of parents who "home-educate" because they're tired of being called into school to discuss their under-disciplined children's behaviour.

17. tt198

tt198 New commenter

The parents have a full right to remove their children, but if the LA has grounds to suspect that a proper education is not being provided then they have the duty to intervene, and have powers to issue a school attendance order. In other words, the LA is failing in its duties in the scenario presented here.

On the other hand, many home educate to escape the orthodox delivery of education, eg avoiding SATS, ignoring Ofsted, enabling fully custom curricula. Being subject to the same checks as school teachers would mean that can't happen.

18. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I was considering home schooling the kitten for a variety of reasons - in Ireland and in the area where we were living (not when we had bought the property), class sizes had increased to almost 40 due to lack of local planning and local authority putting very large families into the mix without the appropriate infrastructure. He was on a list for the local Irish language primary but then due to rental issues, the preschool had no space (it was a feeder into the primary), but that still had classes of 35. In Ireland, unlike the UK, there were very few independent primary schools. That said, we have moved to the UK and our son is going to a good independent school in September (we are on a lottery for a few good/outstanding state primaries, but I think it will be very oversubscribed).

If I had had to home school, I would have been happy to be inspected - to liaise with the local authority, etc., so that the kitten could be assessed as fulfilling the necessary criteria under the national curriculum, etc. I have DBS, so does my husband (we were going to live in school housing at one point) - do I think all parents who home-school need DBS, of course not. However, I do believe that if you are choosing to home school, it should be to prepare the child to succeed in life, not for your own convenience.

IceCreamVanMan likes this.
  19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

People usually use home educate in Britain. Home school is american.

There are bad home educators just as there are appalling schools.I wince every time I read the illiterate missives that issue from my son's school and wonder how such ignorant people were allowed to become, and remain, teachers. But we can't live by anecdote. Lots of good and bad stuff happens in schools and lots of good and bad stuff happens in home education. The best edcucated children I know are the home educated ones, by a mile, but the opportunities for lazy parents to do a bad job are certainly there. If schools were perfect there would be an argument for overseeing home education differently. But overseing schools seems only to have made them worse.

20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

oh, never realised (they use home school in Ireland as well, I think....)