1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fears of handing my notice !!!!!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by b7031475, Apr 2, 2020.

1. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

When is it the best time to hand my notice and give my permeant job away? I have signed a job offer abroad to start in September and I've been reading many comments about breaching contracts and employers who cancel the contracts with sorry e-mails at the last minute! I am so stressed and I do have many fears of losing my secured job for nothing with all my expenses and family circumstances! Am I over-thinking it? Also, do we get paid in August from either schools?

TIA

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would keep your secure job fir next year, I did. Too many uncertainties in the near future when you have family and two mortgages to support.

Duraz and b7031475 like this.
  3. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 New commenter

The coronavirus has left many things up in the air and the uncertainty is horrible. Given the situation I would keep the perm. job, and try again for overseas when things calm down. You could very much end up getting a 'sorry but good luck for the future' email, and end up screwed otherwise.

4. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Agreed. This year is absolutely not the time to give up a guaranteed secure job in the UK. No international school knows whether they will even be in business in a term, let alone how many students they will have in August. If they do ditch you at the last moment, ask yourself where you would live, have you got enough cash to stay on your feet, can you survive without a big drop in standards? And after any disaster, there is usually a massive surge of people grabbing 'safe' teaching jobs so you may not even be able to get a UK job. And then you are assuming that flights, border controls etc will all have returned to normal, they'll be no secondary infection lockdowns etc - a big leap of faith. You are stressing because you know you are gambling bigtime and it's a silly thing to do even thinking about accepting a job at the moment.

Seriously, DON'T DO IT!! Politely inform the new school that you've changed your mind because of the uncertainty over Corona and spend the next year really adding value to your skillset, licking SLT's ego and bolstering your CV. Alternatively be cheeky and ask them for a two months signing on fee, non refundable, in case they withdraw the job offer at the last moment.

"Abroad" will still be there in 12 months.

Good luck.

towncryer, Duraz and b7031475 like this.
  5. sicalifornia

sicalifornia New commenter

Where are you supposed to be moving to? :)

6. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

Thank you a million! This is very informative.

BlueHues likes this.
  7. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

Egypt.

8. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

For all you know, the international school maybe hedging it’s bets too. Lots of staff have retracted their resignations and lots of the jobs advertised aren’t there anymore.

Hold on until last day to resign and see how the land lies then. May resignation for September start. You have nothing to lose.

b7031475 likes this.
  9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The only thing that seems certain at the moment is uncertainty. Most European countries are finding it hard to cope with the Coronavirus, so what is going to happen when things get bad in Africa and South America?

10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

A few South American countries were extremely proactive in closing borders early luckily

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Same for the African country im in.

12. Duraz

Duraz New commenter

They were, but how long can those countries continue with quite severe lockdowns?Civil disorder is just as big a risk as the virus I would say.

13. greenn111

greenn111 New commenter

While I understand the sentiment here and staying put may well be the best option there has been a huge amount of scaremongering going on in this site recently, while it is good to be informed and look after your family first please don't believe absurd comments like no international school knows if they will be in business in August.

Good schools will have contingencies based on a year or even two of negative revenue and will not just fold, yes be aware and choose your schools carefully but don't believe some of the uninformed negativity that has been posted here recently.

Believe it or not the vast majority of Principals are not the devil incarnate and many of us are putting ourselves at serious risk staying in country for the sole reason of finding ways to ensure that all staff get paid, all contracts get honored and no member of our teams future or present are put in difficult situations.

This is the number one priority and any good Principal will walk rather than compromising this, the constant negativity being thrown around here makes our jobs even harder, yes research the school carefully but please do not focus just on the prophets of doom. Many of us are away from our families in difficult and dangerous situations working to ensure that staff are paid cared for and supported.

Fairless84, kpm22, didi1866 and 16 others like this.
  14. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

It's most definitely a roll of the dice decision.

Everyone in this forum can give you all the advice in the world and tell you all the words you want to hear.

@greenn111 said good principals would walk rather than compromise the old and new personnels of the school. My principal is outstanding, that's why out of the 5 staff members, they took back 3 who were bound for China and changed their minds. Three new people got the sorry email 3 weeks ago.

Everyone wishes you all the best. But ultimately no one here can help you and your family financially if or when things go bust for you. It is a decision you and your husband alone will need to make.

b7031475 likes this.
  15. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Its not just rolling the dice moving jobs or countries at the moment its Russian Roulette odds.

Unfortunately most international school principals have no moral compass when it comes staff management, they are only looking out for their own job.

It is possible to see the current situation in Shanghai with expats, just sign out for one of the many wechat groups that deals with selling household items and home clearance sales.

What will a reduction of 50% of expat families in Shanghai do to the number of foreign teachers required in schools.

16. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

What 'serious risk' are you putting yourself in staying in your current country and not traveling somewhere else? What dangers are you facing that you wouldn't be facing in a first world country (most of which have far higher numbers of infected and dying than your average south east Asian place at the moment).

I'm not saying that you're not doing something positive, but you make it sound like you're single handedly building a medical centre in an African warzone. You're in the same situation as everyone else on the planet

nollaig and Duraz like this.
  17. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

I was talking to a friend about this the other day. I have only worked abroad in well-established European schools (western European for those who like to make the distinction). In general, they have been around for some time (often half a century), have acquired impressive resources and reserves, and their intake is from a settled, reasonably steady local intake (comprised of locals and expats). For example, my friend who teaches at one of the best schools in Munich (or the best, depending on your viewpoint) was explaining that the families of the students haven't gone anywhere because Munich is their home. Most of the families are 'well off' to the point where they have steady incomes (and still do at the moment), and they are fully expecting for their kids to go back to the school as soon as they're allowed to do so. Something that helps here is that many European countries have good (strict?) labour laws which prevent some of the sharper practices of dodgy outfits in other parts of the world. For example, the Lycee in France which have international components hire international staff under local terms - gold plated civil servant contracts. A moan of many a HT in these places is that they can never fire the deadwood! Such protection in law is not always guaranteed though, I hasten to add! (I'm being extremely general here). Of course there can be some very dodgy schools in Europe such as the Patron Saint ones in the Teutonic Heartland: but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

I use the analogy of the UK housing market. Just before the 2008 crash, lots of people took chances on 'up and coming' areas in cities. Many of these areas didn't gentrify so many homebuyers went into negative equity. However, in areas that were either steady or well-established, there was a slight dip or plateau in prices and lethargy in the market overall which, now in hindsight, was easily weathered. I see some of these very 'new' international schools as 'up and coming areas' in this analogy. They have taken a punt (so to speak) particularly in booming, competitive and highly fluid (volatile!) markets such as China: therefore they may be very uncertain bets in the current crisis. Without the established growth of several years or decades, or the steady, guaranteed intake from an equally well-established expat or local populace (with industries or economies that can also weather the current uncertainty), it would be harder to predict their ability to honour commitments or weather the storm.

motorhomer, TusitalaH and dumbbells66 like this.
  18. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Well I handed my notice in back in November. Of course now I would have probably hung on for another year but I have no choice but to keep going forward and hope for the best.

johnnyb__123 likes this.
  19. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Leave it as late as possible. I know it's not fair on the school, but, for example, here in Spain, you can hand in your notice on August 1st and leave on September 2nd. I'd never do that, but that's the law...

b7031475 likes this.
  20. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

“My principal is outstanding, that's why out of the 5 staff members, they took back 3 who were bound for China and changed their minds. Three new people got the sorry email 3 weeks ago.” @taiyah

And this is why there is a lot of worry- let’s hope the 3 new people who received the email hadn’t resigned or were also able to retract their resignations!

What an awful time for those who would have been caught out by this kind of action. I don’t think it was an easy decision: I think it was a very difficult one bit still, it’s shafted some poor unsuspecting teachers. (Based only on what has been written here)