1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fear I may have broken my toe!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by clatkiu1, May 1, 2011.

1. Last night we had a few friends round for a BBQ. After a couple of glasses of wine, I came through the door, jumped to miss a small child who was in the way, landed funny and then absolutely wacked my foot on the huge metal legs on the bottom of the sofa. It's now pretty bruised, swollen and extremely painful.
    Don't know if I should go to A&E will they do anything? Also know it will be heaving with it being bank holiday. Advice please!

2. When I was a care assistant working on a wardin a hospital, I stubbed my toe before the start of a shift. Limped onto the bus. Limped onto the ward. Toe ballooned up. Nurses looked at it. Occy nurse looked at it and told me yes it is prob broken but if you carry on with your shift the walking will encourage the release of endorphins (or something like that) to combat the pain. And that was that.
    Boody hard work. Had to phone in sick the next day as just couldn't walk or put shoes on.

3. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I was devastated when I did mine. I had bought some shoes the day before and had planned my entire work outfit around them. Couldn't wear them and ruined the outfit with trainers. It was tragic.

4. Update
    Tis as I feared...broken!
    Strapped up with painkillers. They knew it was broken straight away by looking at it, but said I was right to have it checked as there was a possibility I could have done my foot too.
    Oh well!

5. Total settee rest...no washing up, no cleaning, no making beds, no cooking (unless it's a snack to be taken whilst reading a good book or trashy mag) and certainly no fetching and carrying for at least 4 weeks. ;¬))

6. I wish you were my doctor and could prescribe that with my husband in earshot. I've done all of the chores you've listed there today, and a few more on top. I have to keep sitting down because the pain's so bad!

7. Does this mean you won't be fit for The Last Night of the Proms ( I would have said the Cup Final but I know you are a muso) :¬))

PS Glenmorange helps with the pain...well, it doesn't help but it sure makes it more fun.

8. I think I'll be ok for that.
    Just so my limp is evened up, I've just nicely trapped the matching toe of the other foot under my back door. Symmetrical injuries weren't exactly what I was hoping for this Bank Holiday[​IMG]. Ow!
    I'm going to partake of your recommended medication, Bauble. I think I deserve it.

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I've broken my little toe on right foot a few times.
    First time was when I was teenager and a massive hunter stood on my foot as I was leading him out of his stable, leaving horseshoe nail imprints on my purple-blue toes.
    And then when my children were babies, many's the time when my foot went one side of the safety gate and the little toe went the other side - argh!
    It heals on its own with no need to strap it up - don't think the Dr would put it in for an xray anyway, would they?